Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Game of Thrones [Jesus Christ Spoilers Everywhere]
How is everyone liking season 5 of Game of Thrones?
Ep3 was great - Episode 4 was a huge letdown, the Dorne arc so far has been so bad. Mainly the sand snakes. MAN that was bad acting & script.
Not being a book reader I'm keen to see where Tyrion ends up, its going to take some serious persuading/advice-ing to get him on Daenerys's side if he's going to be introduced as a prisoner. If he gets onto her small council (looking more likely if they're killing off Selmy-which sucks btw) he'll be able to school the other advisors and run things smoothly, which in the long term frees up Daenerys to invade.
(11-05-2015, 01:43 AM)████ Wrote: Ep3 was great - Episode 4 was a huge letdown, the Dorne arc so far has been so bad. Mainly the sand snakes. MAN that was bad acting & script.
Oh god the sandsnakes are so bad, they are like cartoon characters. Not to mention their shoes (go back and look at them if you didn't notice). I'm hoping the whole Dorne storyline is going to pick up once Jamie and Bronn get there, because what storyline wouldn't be improved by Jamie and Bronn coming in?

(11-05-2015, 01:43 AM)████ Wrote: Not being a book reader I'm keen to see where Tyrion ends up, its going to take some serious persuading/advice-ing to get him on Daenerys's side if he's going to be introduced as a prisoner. If he gets onto her small council (looking more likely if they're killing off Selmy-which sucks btw) he'll be able to school the other advisors and run things smoothly, which in the long term frees up Daenerys to invade.
I am a book reader and I'm still interested to see where they are going with this, they've changed so much from the books already this season it's like watching an alternate universe. (Which I quite like). Unfortunately it does look like Barristen is rather dead :(
(11-05-2015, 08:30 AM)Pythagean Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 01:43 AM)████ Wrote: Ep3 was great - Episode 4 was a huge letdown, the Dorne arc so far has been so bad. Mainly the sand snakes. MAN that was bad acting & script.
Oh god the sandsnakes are so bad, they are like cartoon characters. Not to mention their shoes (go back and look at them if you didn't notice). I'm hoping the whole Dorne storyline is going to pick up once Jamie and Bronn get there, because what storyline wouldn't be improved by Jamie and Bronn coming in?

None. The answer is none.

Show ContentSpoiler:
[Image: 76561198044303202.png]
Decent episode last night, feels like they are setting up lots of stuff for the second half of the season. I am quite liking how they tend to spend longer in each area at a time now rather than jumping around heaps. Makes the pacing feel a lot better.

SPOILERS BELOW

My quick thoughts on episode 5 "Kill the Boy"
  • The Wall - Spent a lot of time here this episode (and this season as well). Any scene with Stannis is great, and Kit Harrington has really improved this season imo. Hardhome should be cool to see.
  • Winterfell - Ramsey may be a complete nutter but I do like him. He's one of those characters where you can never really pin him down, very unpredictable. Was anyone else really tense in the scene between Sansa and Miranda?
  • Mereen - I loved the scene with the dragons, looking forward to seeing the fighting pits opened.
  • Valyria - Looked just as I imagined it in the books, well this is the payoff for all the Greyscale talk we have been getting this season. Everything from the poem about the Doom of Valyria to Drogon flying overhead was really well done, probably one of my favorite scenes of the season.
Best episode this season yet! One thing GoT always does right is epic scenes of armies marching into the distance. And yeah pacing was great, felt like so much more happened than last episode (admittedly it was 10 minutes shorter last week).
I've heard a lot of the characters get merged/follow different paths from the books (obviously going to happen to keep the characters memorable in the shorter time allocation) but consequentially some of the encounters seem a little coincidental... mainly stuff like Brienne crossing paths with Arya in the middle of nowhere, AND THEN finding Sansa in a pub in another part of the country. Is it more complicated in the books? It ruins the immersion...

Predictions:

Shireen is getting too much attention , maybe she'll be a big weakness to Stannis / will die in the upcoming battle. Or maybe the writers are just trying to make Stannis more likeable by showing he's not a robot..

If nothing happens to her, then it falls on Sansa to have a bad time (bad things happening to sansa in GoT, BOLD prediction rite?). I just can't see Stannis's force losing to the Boltons, but also an outright victory isn't very GoT-like/interesting.
(13-05-2015, 01:52 AM)████ Wrote: I've heard a lot of the characters get merged/follow different paths from the books (obviously going to happen to keep the characters memorable in the shorter time allocation) but consequentially some of the encounters seem a little coincidental... mainly stuff like Brienne crossing paths with Arya in the middle of nowhere, AND THEN finding Sansa in a pub in another part of the country. Is it more complicated in the books? It ruins the immersion...

It is a somewhat simplified version of what happens in the books, there are way more characters to keep track (which they understandably can't do in the show) so the storylines of smaller book characters get merged into the storylines of the main cast that we already know. I like the majority of the changes they have made so far.

The crossing of paths does happen to some extent in the books, just not with the same characters. For instance Brienne never finds Arya or Sansa after leaving King's Landing. But other characters do randomly happen across each other occasionally in the books which hasn't happened in the show (yet?).

I am all for interconnecting storylines, but I do agree that it begins to break the immersion when every other episode features a random coincidental meeting.
SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

My quick thoughts on episode 6 "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
  • Tyrion & Jorah - One of the best parts of the episode, Ian Glenn killed it reacting to the news of his fathers death. Tyrion wins the episode by being saved by his non-dwarf sized cock.
  • Braavos - The Room of Many Faces looked so much better than I ever imagined, very creepy. I actually look forward to this storyline each episode now.
  • Kings Landing - Do something Tommen! They are lucky Joffrey isn't King anymore, he would have ordered all of the sparrows dead. Cersei's smug smile is great, she really does fancy herself as the smartest person in Kings Landing. Really good to see Olenna back, any scene with here is automatically awesome
  • Dorne... - I was wrong in my previous post when I said that it should pick up when Jaime and Bronn get there, apart from the odd comment from Bronn there isn't a single redeeming feature from this storyline.
  • Winterfell - Jesus....

All in all one of my least favorite episodes this season. 4 left, and there are quite a few big things coming up so I'm still really looking forward to the last few episodes.
the guy who helped tyrion is a total bro.
(28-05-2015, 12:35 AM)████ Wrote: the guy who helped tyrion is a total bro.

Indeed, possibly a subtle nod to a book character cut from the show (Strong Belwas)

I'll post my thoughts on episode 7 "The Gift" below:
  • The Wall - Oh Aemon :(. Didn't quite hit the emotional note like it did in the books, but I really liked Sam's speech at his funeral. Will definitely miss him, Peter Vaughan played him brilliantly. Looking forward to seeing Hardhome next episode.
  • Winterfell - Sansa seems to be running out of allies who can help her, hopefully that means they are setting her up to actually do something herself (possibly with that knife/corkscrew she picked up). She isn't being subtle in her digs at Ramsey either.
  • Stannis - Well I was worried that this was going to happen after they started showing Shireen a lot more in this season. I'm really interested to see Selsye's reaction when she finds out..
  • Mereen - Wow I was half expecting them to just miss each other, really looking forward to seeing Tyrion and Daenerys interact. (Funny little tidbit, Tyrion is now the only character to meet Jon and Dany (two main characters who are on opposite sides of the world))
  • Dorne - Nothing to say, only redeeming feature was tits (and to be fair they were really nice)
  • King's Landing - My favorite part of the episode, some really really great interactions between characters. Olenna/High Sparrow, Cersei/Margery and Cersei/High Sparrow were all really solid. Jonathan Price was such a great choice to play the High Sparrow, he is absolutely killing it. Finally Cersei gets what's coming to her (and it's all of her own making)

Overall probably my favorite episode of the season, really looking forward to these final 3. They have a number of story lines set up for some big moments.