Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum tweaks and changes

Just a thought, is it possible to have different icons that show that there's a new post in a topic? Not sure if there is some but I can't tell which threads have new posts or not by looking at the main page.

(03-06-2014, 06:31 PM)GuyGo Wrote: Just a thought, is it possible to have different icons that show that there's a new post in a topic? Not sure if there is some but I can't tell which threads have new posts or not by looking at the main page.

So you are one of those people who use the legend displayed at the bottom of the page for forums that have new or read posts? To be honest I never thought anyone really used that as an indication as there are many other ways to check for new posts. For example the Alerts System, the new posts section at the top of the forum, and when you login on the Portal page you have the option to view Todays new posts.

For me personally, I subscribe to each thread I post in to receive email notification when there has been a new post.

However making some icons with grey borders for example to represent no new posts in a forum is something that could be done. Drop Pythagean email!
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps

(04-06-2014, 08:51 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 06:31 PM)GuyGo Wrote: Just a thought, is it possible to have different icons that show that there's a new post in a topic? Not sure if there is some but I can't tell which threads have new posts or not by looking at the main page.

So you are one of those people who use the legend displayed at the bottom of the page for forums that have new or read posts? To be honest I never thought anyone really used that as an indication as there are many other ways to check for new posts. For example the Alerts System, the new posts section at the top of the forum, and when you login on the Portal page you have the option to view Todays new posts.

For me personally, I subscribe to each thread I post in to receive email notification when there has been a new post.

However making some icons with grey borders for example to represent no new posts in a forum is something that could be done. Drop Pythagean email!

Yes that could definitely be done, will play around with changing the border colours, and maybe turning down the saturation of the icons so they fade a little bit

This has been done!

What's new folks? Exactly as above! There are now separate forum icons to represent whether or not there are new posts in a forum now. You can mark a forum as read by clicking on the icon and it should (browser dependent I think) change to the icon representing the forum has been marked as read, if not just refresh the page!

Keep the suggestions coming.

Grey Ghost Wrote:

This has been done!

What's new folks? Exactly as above! There are now separate forum icons to represent whether or not there are new posts in a forum now. You can mark a forum as read by clicking on the icon and it should (browser dependent I think) change to the icon representing the forum has been marked as read, if not just refresh the page!

Woohoo looks good!

Will check back when there are some new posts to test with.

pythagean Wrote:
Grey Ghost Wrote:

This has been done!

Woohoo looks good!

Will check back when there are some new posts to test with.

You just tested for me. If you mark the forums as read, your own posts won't trigger a new post icon. Someone else has to post for the icon to change again.

Well with the help of another awesome admin, I achieved something big today that I have been working on (and meaning to work on) for aaaagggess.

As of today, everyone can have their own custom colour and font for their user name AND have their own customer colour and font for the content of their posts.

All the settings for this can be found in your User CP:

Clicking it gives you the following:

It uses hexadecimal values for colour, so unless you are fimilar with how that works you'll have to use a colour picker for reference:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp

This was all achieved through a plugin that was not my own, but kindly shared with me by another fellow admin.

I still have a few things to tweak before its perfect though. For example in the 'Latest Posts' section at the top of the page, your user name will only display the group colour. i.e. regular old users are part of a user group that is defaultly the colour blue.

Since the latest posts section is also a plugin, I am going have to modify it to pull the colour from our users names and not from user groups.

Hope you all like the change!

Some of you may or may not have noticed the forum went down for a bit before....

I tired upgrading to the latest version of myBB but it seemed to totally break the forum..

Luckily I made a backup just before I tried to upgrade so all is well. Will try upgrading later when I know it's stable to do so.

Going to try and upgrade to the latest version of myBB again. Downtime expected....

And done. We are now running myBB ver 1.6.14!