II) Arcade cabinet panels and housing
Hey folks, I'm back for another update.
I spent the majority of this weekend working on the cabinet build. I ended up purchasing 4 sheets of 18mm custom wood, which by the looks of it is going to be way more than enough to build this whole thing. Again I worked on this with my Dad as he holds most of the skills required for piecing this together :P
To note the price, 4 sheets of 2m x 1.5m custom wood came to $130 NZD.
Basically we worked out exactly how the sides of the arcade were going to look, and outlined the measurements on the first sheet of custom wood. From here we cut out the sheet with a jigsaw carefully by hand, then traced it to cut out the second sheet. This was 80% of the work, and once the sides were on the arcade, it was basically just cutting pieces to finish closing up the cabinet.
This is the basic shape with the TV in place.
The sides turned out fantastic. Really has the arcade look to it.
There isn't a top or control board on just yet, they are just there to see what it looks like.
We also got the bottom sheets fixed into place.
I'm really happy with how it has turned out so far. It's a solid build and the TV fits perfectly into the cabinet. I plan to have a little swing door on the back so the TV can be removed/replaced if ever required.
The cabinet has been glued with special glue used to hold up to 80kg signs on walls/any other surface. Once this glue sets its ridiculously strong. On top of this everything has been screwed and countersunk into place. The result is an incredibly sturdy and secure build.
Next weekend I'll have the last back piece, top, and front on. I also plan to put shelving inside the cabinet and a door at the front so I can get in an under everything should the Raspberry Pi etc. need any maintenance.
That's all for now!