Hello There, Guest! Login RegisterLogin with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Game: The Crystal Mage

(25-08-2015, 06:43 PM)Jargonion Wrote:
Trigger Warning for those who can art: shit art ahead

After spending the day working fleshing out areas and mechanics, I decided to digitally recreate the main-map I had drawn. I present to you all, the special edition, pre-release, full colour, first look at the main map for the campaign.
This isn't at all how it'll look while playing, I think. For starters, it's going to be black and white, and almost certainly hand drawn. I'm also currently figuring out a method of starting the map blank, and filling it in as players explore. So, yeah, minor spoilers, but nothing that'll (probably) change the game play experience. 

But, I'm feeling good about progress, so I thought I'd start the pre-release info leaking.

awe Tokyo Lane

I'd sign up but I have no confidence in my ability to have or predict free time.

Nice! Looking good man. Keep fleshing this out!

Pythagean will probably draw you up a map too.

I can't art, but the pen-drawn map next to me looks much better.

My plan's to release a little bit of info about different aspects every day, to keep myself motivated and on-track.

With decent luck, I could have the handbook published by mid-next week.

I'm pushing the timeline back one week, since a lot of unrelated work has appeared on my plate.

We await patiently.

Oooh, what's this???

It's something very dumb and stupid. Instead of stretching the reveal out for weeks, I'll stretch it out over minutes, and reveal it with the first change log.

Ooooh, wow.

I would like to announce the first expansion: the perplexing door. Adventurers visiting the congregation of hermits will find a door that they've never seen before. This door, like most doors, will lead the party to a new and exciting zone.

I know it's pretty dumb to make an expansion before the game's even ready, but it fixed up a few pacing and balancing issues I was having, and is modular in nature. This means that, unlike the rest of the game which has already been designed as a big chunk, the perplexing door (and the new items that come with it) can easily be excluded from the main campaign to change things up a bit, and make it harder.

Also, in an attempt to keep engagement on my end (and, hopefully, your end) high, I'm going to go ahead and post the change log every time I finish a large amount of work. Right now I have a lot of blobs of stuff, and I just need to stitch it all together, fill in any gaps, and make sure it's all balanced.

So, here is the first change log (edited to minimise spoilers):

• Added the Perplexing Door
  • Gave the sword bits a purpose
  • Added a new power crystal and associated guardian
  • Added a new boss
  • Added four new mini bosses
  • Redistributed the sword bits
  • Changed how Tokyo Lane works
  • Added sword 'smithing'

Looking and sounding good! Keen for that first session.

(01-09-2015, 05:28 PM)Jargonion Wrote:
So, here is the first change log (edited to minimise spoilers):

• Added the Perplexing Door
  • Gave the sword bits a purpose
  • Added a new power crystal and associated guardian
  • Added a new boss
  • Added four new mini bosses
  • Redistributed the sword bits
  • Changed how Tokyo Lane works
  • Added sword 'smithing'

I'm finding this changelog for a mysterious game far more exciting than I expected, even without the anticipation of playing it.

Change log for version 0.20:
  • Classes now exist!
  • Added Bard class
  • Added Warrior class
  • Added Bandit class
  • Added Accountant class
  • Added Coward class
  • Added Mage class
  • Added Scholar class
  • Added Brawler class
  • Added Thief class
  • Added stats!
  • Strength stat now exists
  • Dexterity stat now exists
  • Intelligence stat now exists
  • Wisdom stat now exists
  • Perception stat now exists
  • Charisma stat now exists
  • Added combat!
  • Added character creation!
  • Added an XP system!
  • Changed XP system
  • Changed XP system
  • Changed XP system
  • Finalised XP system
  • Changed XP system
Most of the mechanics have equations to work off of now, so most of the shitty work's done (until I need to tweak it all, burn it all down, start over) and I can work on creating spells, enemies, and items. Then comes the zone creation. Then there'll be a lot of in-house testing which'll prove pointless when the unbalanced piece of shit gets tested in the first campaign.

Onwards!