Hello There, Guest! Login RegisterLogin with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Mother base is looking good pal.

I haven't got that far yet, I'm sure this loading screen is longer than 507 seconds ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

(06-09-2015, 11:52 AM)RedmondG Wrote: Mother base is looking good pal.

I haven't got that far yet, I'm sure this loading screen is longer than 507 seconds ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'll have an update coming soon ish.

So I've played a lot more Metal Gear V now, 40 hours in fact, so I think that's enough for me to pass judgement on this game.

40 hours and 35% through. I believe there are 50 main story missions and I've only just completed number 20. So there is a butt load of content, and as I have said before THIS GAME IS PEACE WALKER 2. Or at least 90% Peace Walker 2.

A few things I can now clarify from my second post:

1) Staff management is 100% automated. You don't have to lift a finger. It automatically assigns every troop you get to each relevant facility based on their rank/skills automatically. Once all your different facilities are full, it starts putting people in the waiting room and even as you get better people, it swaps them out when needed. It will even start to fire people from the waiting room once that is full.

Compared to Peace Walker (where it was all 100% manual) it feels less engaging. Rarely am I really looking at my soldiers as they are automatically put where they need to be put, so I don't spend any time reading over them and getting attached. Even when you dismiss soldiers, they are just gone. No "You're FIRED" like Peace Walker which always made me feel bad. Soldiers don't even really have profiles now either, and it just lists their rank and any skills, no quotes on their profiles so no individualization really. I'll admit im nit-picking right now, but all the little things add up you know? For me personally it effects immersion.

I can understand why this has been done though. Being Hideo's last game, I think he's tried to make this as appealing to a wider audience as he can. Also with all the automatic assigning of staff, weapons and equipment are automatically unlocked for research. Which is handy because you can research and develop stuff in real time for use. As I have mentioned before this has come in handy while I've been on a mission. It takes some of the micro management out of it which some people could find annoying.

2) Speaking of weapons and research etc. It appears you can research anything automatically up to Rank 3. From Rank 3 onwards, it takes time to complete the weapon/item. Again I can see why this has been done. By having weapons/items/tools develop instantly for the first couple of levels, you get great exposure to what the game has to offer and can find your play style quicker. I do like this as I've been able to make a wide range of weapons/equipment and try it all out.

So that about sums up my earlier post to this thread. Now for some of my opinions/feeling/analysis about the game:

MGSV doesn't always feel like a Metal Gear game. And I'll explain why. Firstly starting with Snake.

I feel disconnected from Snake in this game, he doesn't feel like the Snake I know and love and I know why for the most part, this game is about the fall of Big Boss and his descent into the worlds enemy. I get Hideo's direction with this Snake, he is worn down, defeated and jaded at this place in time. He is a man who has lost all he built.

But this isn't the issue for me. In MGSV he is basically a mute. I get this is also down to his new defeated/jaded self but he literally doesn't speak often at all. I hear this might be due to how expensive Kiefer Sutherland is as an actor. This does bother me though, there isn't much Boss to listen to, and considering he is such a powerful and spoken character, its a shame to see him like this in what is probably going to be the last Metal Gear ever.

Kiefer's voice acting has also been a 50/50 for me. Some lines he has delivery brilliantly and alot fo the tapes you can listen to where you can hear him talk are great. But for the most part I don't think he plays him all that well, he feels a little disconnected like he doesn't give a shit. All of this makes me feel less attached to Snake.

Next part I'll put in spoilers, cause its spoiler ish. No plot or anything, just game execution I suppose.

But having said all that, why is it so darn good?

It's because its so much fun.

My god the game play and game mechanics are at an all time high for the series and there is just so much to do (PEACE WALKER 2): Mother Base development, weapons, research, make an army, build tiny Metal Gears, loads of side ops, shit to explore open world, the buddy system, it goes on and on.

So this begs the question: Yes it's a great game, a fantastic game. But is it a great Metal Gear game? I think so, but I don't think its the best, and for alot of people (I suspect) I don't feel it was the game we thought we would get to see the series out.

I HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME YET. All opinions here may change, and most likely will upon completion. These are just my thoughts at 40 hours in.

As it stands though, I put Peace Walker just slightly above MGSV. Yeah I said it.

Pictures time:

I got me Quiet now:

Heres me and DD chilling in a jeep:

(08-09-2015, 06:04 PM)AdminGG Wrote: [...]
1) Staff management is 100% automated. You don't have to lift a finger. It automatically assigns every troop you get to each relevant facility based on their rank/skills automatically. Once all your different facilities are full, it starts putting people in the waiting room and even as you get better people, it swaps them out when needed. It will even start to fire people from the waiting room once that is full.

Compared to Peace Walker (where it was all 100% manual) it feels less engaging. Rarely am I really looking at my soldiers as they are automatically put where they need to be put, so I don't spend any time reading over them and getting attached. Even when you dismiss soldiers, they are just gone. No "You're FIRED" like Peace Walker which always made me feel bad. Soldiers don't even really have profiles now either, and it just lists their rank and any skills, no quotes on their profiles so no individualization really. I'll admit im nit-picking right now, but all the little things add up you know? For me personally it effects immersion.

I can understand why this has been done though. Being Hideo's last game, I think he's tried to make this as appealing to a wider audience as he can. Also with all the automatic assigning of staff, weapons and equipment are automatically unlocked for research. Which is handy because you can research and develop stuff in real time for use. As I have mentioned before this has come in handy while I've been on a mission. It takes some of the micro management out of it which some people could find annoying.

2) Speaking of weapons and research etc. It appears you can research anything automatically up to Rank 3. From Rank 3 onwards, it takes time to complete the weapon/item. Again I can see why this has been done. By having weapons/items/tools develop instantly for the first couple of levels, you get great exposure to what the game has to offer and can find your play style quicker. I do like this as I've been able to make a wide range of weapons/equipment and try it all out.

[...]

[...]

It's because its so much fun.

My god the game play and game mechanics are at an all time high for the series and there is just so much to do (PEACE WALKER 2): Mother Base development, weapons, research, make an army, build tiny Metal Gears, loads of side ops, shit to explore open world, the buddy system, it goes on and on.

As it stands though, I put Peace Walker just slightly above MGSV. Yeah I said it.
[...]

Huh. From seeing everything Peace Walker had to offer, I was hoping the Mother Base management to step up rather than step away. When you have different groups of employees (I remember one of your workers spoke Russian) you could have morale issues, factions, side missions on MotherBase maybe? Also, we're going from PSP to PS4/PC/etc, so I would expect things to get less streamlined, with more detail.

It seems all very reasonable when you have to appeal to every Metal Gear fan, when you're delivering the final chapter, but a tad sad.

Early weapon instant development seems a bit lame to me, if it took ~25 minutes say, then maybe halfway through the mission Miller might be like: OH HEY YOU GOTTA SNIPER WANT ME TO MAIL IT TO YOU?, rather than immediately as you desire it.

I figured that because every fulton costs GMP (according to your videos) money and mission management would be more involved... do they still have Side Ops? I remember hearing about Side Ops that you could manage with your smartphone while away from your console, was that a real thing??

(09-09-2015, 01:50 PM)fresher taco Wrote: Huh. From seeing everything Peace Walker had to offer, I was hoping the Mother Base management to step up rather than step away. When you have different groups of employees (I remember one of your workers spoke Russian) you could have morale issues, factions, side missions on MotherBase maybe? Also, we're going from PSP to PS4/PC/etc, so I would expect things to get less streamlined, with more detail.

Yeah I agree, and have a few more thoughts about this. While Peace Walker was a stellar game, it was on PSP and for the most part the audience was smaller and the game in some peoples eyes was not worth playing/taken seriously. I remember in an interview with David Hayter he was saying just this and he hoped many people would play it cause it was such an important game in the series.

So in that respect, I think Hideo has just made Peace Walker again, but more appealing to a wider audience.

Mother Base does have those things you describe too, like moral issues and fights between Russians and other folks. But it isn't much more than a message popping up in the bottom left from your iDriod saying someone is being put in the brig for some cool down time.

I think a lot of potential has been missed by actually seeing and participating in these things considering you can walk around Mother Base now.

(09-09-2015, 01:50 PM)fresher taco Wrote: It seems all very reasonable when you have to appeal to every Metal Gear fan, when you're delivering the final chapter, but a tad sad.

Exactly this, it works but its also a little sad. Like my point before, its a great game but I think its not the game all Metal Gear fans thought they would get.

(09-09-2015, 01:50 PM)fresher taco Wrote: I figured that because every fulton costs GMP (according to your videos) money and mission management would be more involved... do they still have Side Ops? I remember hearing about Side Ops that you could manage with your smartphone while away from your console, was that a real thing??

Of course they still have side-ops. Peace Walker had 138 from memory? So far MGSV has 160+ (that I have).

And yes there is more money management to be had, but again its all automatic, so all you really have to do is keep and eye on it and don't overspend. Before you start any mission you can check the mission costs, like how much GMP its gonna take to deploy you, the cost of your weapons/items/ammo, the resources that will be consumed (i.e. fuel for the chopper) etc. All of which you can make back but finding resources on the map.

I haven't found it difficult to manage though, and again coming from such background as Peace Walker where I am used to similar mechanics. I've been excelling at this game pretty quickly. I have never once gone into deficit and have always made a profit on each mission I do.

I imagine for people just starting who would be unfamiliar with the game and mechanics would probably struggle for a bit and learn some lessons.

I still can't recommend this game enough though, it's so fun. Make sure you got it on your wishlist and nab it once its on sale.

(09-09-2015, 02:33 PM)AdminGG Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 01:50 PM)fresher taco Wrote: I figured that because every fulton costs GMP (according to your videos) money and mission management would be more involved... do they still have Side Ops? I remember hearing about Side Ops that you could manage with your smartphone while away from your console, was that a real thing??

Of course they still have side-ops. Peace Walker had 138 from memory? So far MGSV has 160+ (that I have).

And yes there is more money management to be had, but again its all automatic, so all you really have to do is keep and eye on it and don't overspend. Before you start any mission you can check the mission costs, like how much GMP its gonna take to deploy you, the cost of your weapons/items/ammo, the resources that will be consumed (i.e. fuel for the chopper) etc. All of which you can make back but finding resources on the map.

I haven't found it difficult to manage though, and again coming from such background as Peace Walker where I am used to similar mechanics. I've been excelling at this game pretty quickly. I have never once gone into deficit and have always made a profit on each mission I do.

I imagine for people just starting who would be unfamiliar with the game and mechanics would probably struggle for a bit and learn some lessons.

I still can't recommend this game enough though, it's so fun. Make sure you got it on your wishlist and nab it once its on sale.

shoot sorry, I meant to say do they still have Outer OPs?

that you have a lot more options on your missions as to what you bring in/airdrop (you no longer feel so alone?) must really change the game. I remember in the early game rationing your supply drops on a vehicle/tank fight, running out of crappy LAW shots whilst tackling armoured guards you didn't bring the appropriate firepower to deal with. Now you can call in a weapon for a task you didn't expect, call in your pet wolf if you're not feeling as stealthy as you thought you would be...

and yeah, it's sitting patiently on my wishlist. once I'm clear of studies, I might even purchase it regardless, and sink a dedicated week into it.

(09-09-2015, 02:55 PM)fresher taco Wrote: shoot sorry, I meant to say do they still have Outer OPs?

Oh yup. Yes there's still Outer OPs. I forgot to have a mini rant about that too. It's the same and Peace Walker, so you can pick and mobilize a team of soldiers of your choice. But winning is based on your strength VS there's, and it gives you a probable chance for the out come. For example 70% chance of winning with no losses.

However unlike Peace Walker you can only deploy 2 small teams at once, and you can only deploy more when you purchase Forward Operating Bases, which is the games multiplayer element. Without going into FOBs yet (which I've only just got) they are locked behind a micro-transaction wall and only your first FOB is free. So I can deploy 4 teams of 10 soldiers now, which is nothing compared to Peace Walker's 10+ teams of soldiers and tanks alike. WHICH YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR.

Also when you win, it just gives you a results screen with the crap you earned and if anyone got hurt. There's no reply mode like Peace Walker. Again its not a huge deal, but it is less engaging and immersive for me. You don't get to see your soldiers fight turn by turn or the weapons they used based on your own progress like Peace Walker.

(09-09-2015, 02:55 PM)fresher taco Wrote: that you have a lot more options on your missions as to what you bring in/airdrop (you no longer feel so alone?) must really change the game. I remember in the early game rationing your supply drops on a vehicle/tank fight, running out of crappy LAW shots whilst tackling armoured guards you didn't bring the appropriate firepower to deal with. Now you can call in a weapon for a task you didn't expect, call in your pet wolf if you're not feeling as stealthy as you thought you would be...

and yeah, it's sitting patiently on my wishlist. once I'm clear of studies, I might even purchase it regardless, and sink a dedicated week into it.

Yeah it does, but in a good way. Since its open world, its suits being like that. When you do a side op its on the open world map, and when you complete it you can just free roam and engage in another side op. So after completing one you can pick another, approach the area, then drop in the equipment you need to deal with the new situation without having to sit through any loading screens or return to base. That's cool shit.

Plus if you are wrongly equipped which can happen as you say, you can rectify it without having to bail or reset the mission. Adds a new thrill trying to hold off a tank with a tranquilizer sniper while waiting for your rocket launcher to fly in :P

And yeah you can call in D Horse or D Dog to help you out or chill with you mission long. D Dog knows some stealth which is handy, and you can make the horse poop.

Just a heads up in case you haven't reached this yet:

Pretty easy to get around.
Don't use Quiet as a buddy on mission 29 or 42.
İmageİmage

(09-09-2015, 03:33 PM)Ralius Wrote: Don't use Quiet as a buddy on mission 29 or 42.

Yeah duly noted. I would have run into it too since I've started using Quiet.

Impulse bought this last night and so far no regrets. Played about an hour so far, best 5 minute intro to a game I've experienced in a long time. Looking forward to playing more of this.