Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Game of the Year Thread

Figured I would make a GOTY thread for this year, feel free to post your top games or discuss existing lists.

My list consists of 10 games which I played for the first time in 2015 (most of them were released in previous years):

1. Rocket League (PC and PS4)
What more can be said about this game, it is the absolute epitome of "Easy to learn, difficult to master".
Some of my best gaming memories of 2015 come from Rocket League, that feeling I get when I score the overtime winner after an extremely tight game is one I don't get often playing video games.
A special mention is required for Psyonix for being active in the community, listening to suggestions, providing tonnes of extra free content, and only charging for cosmetic DLC. A really nice breath of fresh air in this day and age.

2. Helldivers (PS4)
Having played Helldivers from when it was first released on PS4, I can quite confidently say that it has been my favorite co-op ogame I've played this year.
I've spent countless nights sitting on a couch with three other friends, yelling and laughing at each other as we manage to screw up objective after objective.
I love the stress of trying to mash the correct buttons in order to bring down supplies or revive allies, I love the clicking sound of the PS4 controller when you run out of ammo and I love the no-nonsense and unforgiving gameplay which comes from active friendly fire and a constant threat of being overrun.

3. Just Cause 3 (PC)
Yes, this game has problems. Although I haven't experienced the massive load times or the technical issues which are being reported (I did lose the ocean at one point, but that's beside the point). The story is forgettable, the world feels rather sparse (if beautiful) and the gameplay is pretty one note.
Having said that, this game is just sooooo much fun. It truly is a sandbox for making your own fun, the game does it's best not to restrict the players' imagination or options and I think it succeeds in that regard.
I've only spent ~10 hours so far in this game, but I definitely plan on putting a lot more time into it over my Christmas break.

4. Freedom wars (PS Vita)
I only just started playing this because it was one of the PS Plus games for December, I'm nearing the end of the main story now (Code 6 out of 8) and I am enjoying it so far. 
The setting and the theme of the game is really well done, everything fits into the style of the world. In order to rename your character you have to 'request a nominative reassignment' and you start the game not being able to run for more than a couple of seconds, these little things are nice additions which add to the experience.
The story is meh, and the Code 2 part of the game is obsurdly drawn out and kills the pacing. But push through that and it picks the action back up again, combat is fun and I'm finding I have a lot more options for how to take on opponent sinners and abductors.

5. Wolf Among Us (PC)
I played this at the very start of the year, so my memories are rather fuzzy of the details. I've played the first season of Walking Dead and loved it, personally I think Wolf Among Us isn't quite as good as that (although that probably also comes from having played Walking Dead first)
I absolutely loved the Fables world, I would love to see other games take on this setting (I do intend to try out the comics sometime.)
The story and characters are definitely noteworthy, but the flaws of other Telltale games still ring true here. All in all though, a solid game which tells a complelling story in a very interesting world.

6. Shadowrun Returns (PC)
I've never been much of a turn-based strategy game player, but after hearing many good things about this game/series I thought I'd give it a go. While the actual combat and gameplay didn't exactly grab me, the story and idea of building this storytelling platform gives Shadowrun Returns a place on my list. 
I've already purchased Dragonfall and looking forward to jumping into that.

7. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (PS3)
My time with Assassin's Creed is limited to about 4 hours in the first game, and about 2 hours in Revelations (you can tell by those hour counts that they never quite grabbed me). Ever since then I have completely ignored the series, choosing instead to get my Ubisoft open world fix from Far Cry instead.
One rainy Sunday afternoon I found Black Flag at my parents house (my brother had left it there when he went away to Uni), and decided I should try it out. I expected this one to be like the other ones I tried, but holy crap after a couple of hours I was completely hooked. I spent the next few weeks sailing the seas being a pirate, and it was great.
I eventually lost interest and moved on to other games, but that few weeks was a very surprising dip into the world of Assassin's Creed.

8. 80 Days (Android)
I only just finished this game last night, so it's still fresh in my memory. It's the first game I have played through on my new Android tablet, and I really enjoyed it. You play as a valet who is aiding his master in his attempt to traverse the world in 80 days. It's a great example of a branching storytelling, as you make choices throughout your journey which can drastically alter your journey. 
Gameplay is simple, you travel from city to city using your limited funds, interact with other characters, buy and trade goods and plan your route. The real strength of the game is the writing, the steampunk-esque 1872 is wonderfully detailed through the descriptions as you travel the world. You will find yourself immersed in the stories of the cities you travel to and the people you meet.

9. Super Time Force Ultra (PS Vita)
Another game I wouldn't have tried if it wasn't for Playstation Plus.
Overall I found Super Time Force Ultra to be a very fun experience, it's nice to see a game use the time travel theme to such great effect. The gameplay is fun and rewarding, and I personally loved the humour of the story and the characters created by Capybara Games.

10. 1 Finger Death Punch (PC)
One Finger Death Punch has a very simple premise, but it's a game that knows what it wants to do and does it well. It's a perfect game to just pick up and play when you have 10 minutes to kill, each round only takes 1-2 minutes so it's easy to quickly play through several missions. Very fun and addictive

You said Wolf Among Us isn't as good as Walking Dead, but you didn't put Walking Dead on the list?

(14-12-2015, 01:45 PM)Jargonion Wrote: You said Wolf Among Us isn't as good as Walking Dead, but you didn't put Walking Dead on the list?

I played Walking Dead last year, so it didn't fit the criteria of my list

Oh shit, I'm a dumb.

I guess I'll whip up a list now then, so as to attempt and contribute something not dumb.

My Top 5:

1. Kerbal Space Program

This game is fucking amazing, and it finally got its full release. Build spaceships, space stations, moon bases, rovers, and aero/spaceplanes. Explore other planets. Learn all about physics and orbital mechanics in a fun and rewarding way. Manage your own space program. I cannot, and will not ever get over this game. 11/10, would rate with a cliche again.

2. The Talos Principle

This game was really relaxing, stimulating, and an over-all great time. It's an exploration-puzzle game, with elements of elementary philosophy. The setting was excellent, the pacing and story telling were great, and the whole game is cozy and fun as fuck. There's not too much to say, it's just really excellent.

3. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

It's technically it's own game, so fuck you. SotFS was great. It changed up a bit from DS2, integrated the DLC, and tweaked a few game mechanics to make the experience better. There's not too much more to say. It's a fun challenge, but  one that can be overcome with a nice multiplayer experience. And it's better than DS1.

4. Nuclear Throne

Fun, fast-paced, filled with variety and violence. It doesn't matter how many times you die, you just want to jump straight back into a run. The music's great, the mechanics are seemingly elementary, but there are a couple of hidden bonuses, and a little depth to give room for skills and abilities to develop.

5. Hotline Miami 2

Compared to HLM, HLM2 is a step down. That being said, it's still a solid game, albeit with a jump in difficulty and stupid bullshittery. The music is stop top-notch, controls are (for the most part) solid and instantly responsive, mission variety is excellent. The only let downs are the illusion of viable tactics available to the player per level, and the maps being a little too open with enemies of screen, making trial-and-error the only way to master a level.

I'll keep my games to the 2015 year:

In order of my favorites.

1. The Witcher 3
  2. BloodBorne (my review here)
  3. Just Cause 3
  4. Dying Light
  5. Muh Indies (Rocket Leagues etc.)
  6. Metal Gear Solid V (still my biggest disappointment)

I've ranted about all of the above around the forum and other places, so won't go too much into them again. Witcher 3 deserves it all though, such a great game. Bloodborne is a obvious and strong second, fantastic game again.

Why did Metal Gear have to be shit.

Special mentions to Rocket League and Helldivers (my review here) being my favorite indies of the year. Fantastic games.

Suppose I'll give Nuclear Throne a mention too. It's finally out of beta and got its full release this year and finally launched on all other promised platforms. Been jamming it loads on PS4/Vita and its great.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps

(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote: 5. Hotline Miami 2

Compared to HLM, HLM2 is a step down. That being said, it's still a solid game, albeit with a jump in difficulty and stupid bullshittery. The music is stop top-notch, controls are (for the most part) solid and instantly responsive, mission variety is excellent. The only let downs are the illusion of viable tactics available to the player per level, and the maps being a little too open with enemies of screen, making trial-and-error the only way to master a level.

Oh yeah, I forgot I played Hotline Miami 2. Probably speaks to what I think about it. I agree with all your points. While in the first you could see 90% of enemies then trail and error a few tactics and learn to get through, HLM2 makes you trail and error crap as you say because 90% of enemies are off screen that you can't see. Get shot, wonder where it came from, try again. Get shot again, wonder where that shot game from, try again.

Everything else is pretty great, although I haven't finished it 100% yet. Oh and I miss being able to pick your mask before going into a level. HLM2 is more story based, which I suppose is fine. But you play more defined characters which have their own weapons/abilities. Instead of HLM1 one character with all the different masks you could choose from to tackle it your own way.

That's not the best way to represent what happens. In HLM2, you do get to pick your mask, it just picks which character you're playing as too. From a game play (and in a way, story) perspective, all the characters may as well be the the same character, so it doesn't feel any different than picking a mask in HLM2. Pick a mask - You get the ability linked to that mask.

(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote:
1. Kerbal Space Program

Good choice, forgot that actually released this year. Definitely a very fun game/sandbox, seeing the things that some people are able to make/do is nothing short of amazing.

(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote:
2. The Talos Principle

Huh, heard of the name of this before but didn't know a single thing about it. Might be worth looking into down the line, sounds like something I would enjoy playing through if I'm in the mood.

(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote: 4. Nuclear Throne

Definitely, definitely picking this up sometime. I love Spelunky and Binding of Isaac, and this seems like it will scratch that itch when I want another rogue-like to jump back into. I played a few runs with AdminGG the other day and it felt really good.

(14-12-2015, 02:28 PM)Jargonion Wrote: That's not the best way to represent what happens. In HLM2, you do get to pick your mask, it just picks which character you're playing as too. From a game play (and in a way, story) perspective, all the characters may as well be the the same character, so it doesn't feel any different than picking a mask in HLM2. Pick a mask - You get the ability linked to that mask.

Sorry, I should have said there are fewer of them then? I didn't play to completion so again correct me if I am wrong but there wasn't as much choice or variety as the firsts games masks.

I mean you had Tony (one punch fists), Zebra dude, The Twins, Bear dude with dual machines guns, then the cop/investigator you played as who just started with either nothing or the shotgun in the boot of his car.

Yeah, the game lacked mask unlocks. But that didn't matter (in a bad way), since there was only really 1 mask that would be good for a level anyway.