• Welcome to The Video Game Forum
  • Place is pretty dead yo
  • Liam can suck my dick
  • Dom too
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Game of the Year Thread

(14-12-2015, 02:36 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Yeah, the game lacked mask unlocks. But that didn't matter (in a bad way), since there was only really 1 mask that would be good for a level anyway.

Exactly. I got a lot of replayability out HLM1 playing the levels over and over as each mask for better scores etc.

(14-12-2015, 02:31 PM)Pythagean Wrote:
(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote: 4. Nuclear Throne

Definitely, definitely picking this up sometime. I love Spelunky and Binding of Isaac, and this seems like it will scratch that itch when I want another rogue-like to jump back into. I played a few runs with AdminGG the other day and it felt really good.

Yes do get. And come play again now.

I didn't play nearly as many games as I would have liked to this year so this list won't be final.

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
2. The Witcher 3
3. Mortal Kombat X
4. Mad Max
5. Halo 5: Guardians

Despite MGSV being my biggest disappointment of the year it was still the game I enjoyed the most. I'm currently working on pretty lengthy discussion about why it was so good yet still so disappointing. Halo 5 would probably be my number 1 if I was basing this list on multiplayer only, but despite it being quite possibly the best Halo MP has ever been, the story shit the bed so badly that I have to take it into account.

(11-01-2016, 03:35 PM)Kesh on Hend Wrote: I didn't play nearly as many games as I would have liked to this year so this list won't be final.

2. The Witcher 3
3. Mortal Kombat X
4. Mad Max

Despite MGSV being my biggest disappointment of the year it was still the game I enjoyed the most. I'm currently working on pretty lengthy discussion about why it was so good yet still so disappointing. Halo 5 would probably be my number 1 if I was basing this list on multiplayer only, but despite it being quite possibly the best Halo MP has ever been, the story shit the bed so badly that I have to take it into account.

I didn't get time to play Mad Max or Batman this year which I feel would have made it on my list. Holy shit I forgot MKX came out too.

I keep hearing the same about Halos story this time around too.

(14-12-2015, 02:24 PM)AdminGG Wrote:
(14-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Jargonion Wrote: 5. Hotline Miami 2

Compared to HLM, HLM2 is a step down. That being said, it's still a solid game, albeit with a jump in difficulty and stupid bullshittery. The music is stop top-notch, controls are (for the most part) solid and instantly responsive, mission variety is excellent. The only let downs are the illusion of viable tactics available to the player per level, and the maps being a little too open with enemies of screen, making trial-and-error the only way to master a level.

Oh yeah, I forgot I played Hotline Miami 2. Probably speaks to what I think about it. I agree with all your points. While in the first you could see 90% of enemies then trail and error a few tactics and learn to get through, HLM2 makes you trail and error crap as you say because 90% of enemies are off screen that you can't see. Get shot, wonder where it came from, try again. Get shot again, wonder where that shot game from, try again.

Everything else is pretty great, although I haven't finished it 100% yet. Oh and I miss being able to pick your mask before going into a level. HLM2 is more story based, which I suppose is fine. But you play more defined characters which have their own weapons/abilities. Instead of HLM1 one character with all the different masks you could choose from to tackle it your own way.

Oh, man, you in a shitty ride in hardmode. If the regular difficulty is challenging for you, try Dead Ahead, Takeover, and Beard's final mission, I believe it's called Meltdown, in hardmode, all together, it took me around 50 hours, half of that coming from Dead Ahead.
 Magic-right-crazy-rabbit-emoticon Magic-left-crazy-rabbit-emoticon

My game of the year was Rocket League, and I'm totally fine with that because:
  1. I love casual multiplayer games with a high skill ceiling and self-aware developers (see Team Fortress 2, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Hearthstone, etc).
  2. I love football.
  3. I usually never play any new games anyway
But I probably would have really liked Bloodborne if I had a PS4.

(14-01-2016, 06:13 PM)Selegraphon Wrote: My game of the year was Rocket League, and I'm totally fine with that because:
  1. I love casual multiplayer games with a high skill ceiling and self-aware developers (see Team Fortress 2, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Hearthstone, etc).
  2. I love football.
  3. I usually never play any new games anyway
But I probably would have really liked Bloodborne if I had a PS4.

Yeah Rocket League is undoubtedly the shit. We need to play more.

Bloodborne was also the shit and im waiting to jump down the DLC's throat. But not for $30 (half the price of the game?) I'll wait for an eventual sale....

In comparison Witcher 33 was $11 and got me 20 more hours of original content.

(12-01-2016, 09:01 AM)AdminGG Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 03:35 PM)Kesh on Hend Wrote: I didn't play nearly as many games as I would have liked to this year so this list won't be final.

2. The Witcher 3
3. Mortal Kombat X
4. Mad Max

I didn't get time to play Mad Max or Batman this year which I feel would have made it on my list. Holy shit I forgot MKX came out too.

I keep hearing the same about Halos story this time around too.

Halo 5's story was fucking embarrassing. The marketing around it gave the impression that it was going to be about uncovering some ONI conspiracy that involved framing the Master Chief for an atrocity (check out the 'Hunt the Truth' series on soundcloud, it's actually really good) eventually culminating in an epic showdown between the Chief and the new guy Locke that's hunting him down. Fucking nope, it was all lies. Even Metal Gear Solid V's trailers had more truth to them. It just follows along the 'muh Cortana' shit that Halo 4 was peddling and ends on a Halo 2-tier cliffhanger.