Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overthrow humanitarians who use terrible data

So I was reading an article about child poverty in New Zealand, apparently it has doubled. 

Quote: The annual Child Poverty Monitor says the number of children living in households earning less than 60 per cent of the median household income after housing costs, has almost doubled, from 15 per cent of all children in 1984 to 29 per cent last year.

That's terrible.  But wait, let's actually try to understand the data:

There is a tacit assumption that households earning less than 60 percent of median household income implies child poverty.
Median is a good value to use because outliers like the hideously affluent and outrageously poor will not skew the value. 60% less than a standard household income sounds like quite a lot less to be without. 

The proportion of children living in 'poor' households is influenced by both average family size in low income households, and the number of low income households that have children.  

But we should also bear in mind changes in cost of living and median household income.

The Childrens Commissioner Dr Wills produced this statement, and also is encouraging a social media campaign "Child poverty has doubled since the 80s" and use of the hashtag #itsnotchoice, in reference to poverty in New Zealand. He also supplied this excellent figure to the NZ Herald: 

WHAT A SHIT FIGURE. THIS GUY HAS A PhD. HE HAS BEEN WORKING FOR THE CHILDREN'S COMMISSION FOR NEARLY 5 YEARS AND HE PRODUCES A FIGURE WITH 4 DATA POINTS OVER 30 YEARS. WE DO A CENSUS EVERY 5 YEARS, I SHOULD EXPECT MINIMUM 6 DATA POINTS

OH, AND NO ERROR BARS? AM I TO ASSUME THIS DATA IS ABSOLUTE? AND THOSE CONNECTING LINES AREN'T SUGGESTIVE AT ALL 

what a cunt. I'm not sure if a bureaucrat counts as a public servant and I understand that he is promoting child welfare which is obviously important, but creating an oversimplified message for the public is not helpful (for the children or the general public). It encourages politicians to create insincere arguments and encourages dumb, simple solutions. Near doubling of a number influenced my so many factors should be treated with more respect. 

From what I've read, our politicians respond to simplified statements with simple rhetoric. Public get simple information from their ministers and from these agencies unless they mine sources and papers not designed for lay-access. It's terrible.

Am I being ridiculous?

(16-12-2015, 12:46 PM)fresher taco Wrote: Am I being ridiculous?

From the sounds of it, no.

If that is the actual graph he put out with these findings that is absolutely astounding

(16-12-2015, 12:46 PM)fresher taco Wrote: creating an oversimplified message for the public is not helpful

It's not helpful at all in terms of actually making changes, but unfortunately it is effective in getting media attention.

It's clearly a worthwhile cause, and something that the average NZer should be made aware of. I'm not sure how much more digging would be required to answer your questions and concerns, it does seem like we should be expecting more from someone who is focusing on this issue.

(16-12-2015, 01:45 PM)Pythagean Wrote:
(16-12-2015, 12:46 PM)fresher taco Wrote: Am I being ridiculous?

From the sounds of it, no.

If that is the actual graph he put out with these findings that is absolutely astounding

Yes I agree, your reaction is fine.

But is that for real his graph?

(16-12-2015, 01:45 PM)Pythagean Wrote:
(16-12-2015, 12:46 PM)fresher taco Wrote: creating an oversimplified message for the public is not helpful

It's not helpful at all in terms of actually making changes, but unfortunately it is effective in getting media attention.

It's clearly a worthwhile cause, and something that the average NZer should be made aware of. I'm not sure how much more digging would be required to answer your questions and concerns, it does seem like we should be expecting more from someone who is focusing on this issue.

Yeah you definitely want to make people aware of it. Probably the best way to get the masses attention? Simple data to show shits getting worse. I would hope he's doing far more behind the scenes though...
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps

Quote: "Everything points to things being far tougher than they were 30 years ago. That's not right in a country like ours and it's not fair," said Dr Wills, whose five-year term as Children's Commissioner ends in June. "Today I'm asking New Zealanders to show they share our concern by spreading the message #itsnotchoice."

Fucking 

I'm sick of issues being a matter of national identitiy. Fuck national pride. Acting like we're better than other countries. Lofty phrases from someone who should know that we are no better than so many other OECD countries. 

Such garbage rhetoric. We combat child poverty for the sake of individuals, not for some vague national responsibility.