• Welcome to The Video Game Forum
  • Place is pretty dead yo
  • Liam can suck my dick
  • Dom too
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emulation General

What do you use? Do you prefer it to playing on old systems? Are you having troubles with any?

I'm currently playing PS1 games such as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, the old games I played when I was younger. They definitely feel exactly like I remember them, which is nice. Playing on an Xbox Controller though is quite weird though.

I did try the PS2 emulator PCSX2, but the only game I've tried is Jak 3, and I can't get it to work 100%. If I could get it to work I would be so happy.

Ballin thread.

I didn't go into much detail in my arcade thread, as it was more about the build, but obviously Im doing a shit load of emulation on it.

I'm using Libretro (http://www.libretro.com/) which is running Retro Arch as the front end interface. Which in turn is running through EmulationStation (http://www.emulationstation.org/) which is a graphical front end for all your emulators and ROMs.

EmulationStation is available for windows, so maybe you should give it a try to get everything sorted in once place.

My arcade has libretro cores for emulators for Atari all the way to Dreamcast. I still have shit load of emulators to configure properly, like MAME, and loads of old colour PC's but everything works pretty good for now.

Yeah I hear PCSX2 is pretty good these days. Especially if you got some good hardware. I would have to recommend PPSSPP (http://ppsspp.org/) which is like the best PSP emulator for PC. It plays loads of titles, supports multiplayer, HD, and heaps of options for texture scaling and such. Pretty much allows PSP games to run at their best without the limits of PSP hardware.

Also if you want to play Jak and Daxter etc. It may just be worth getting an old PS3. They are silly cheap on places like trademe these days. Then you can just buy all the HD collections for balls cheap for Jak and Daxter and such. You spend enough on games like me :P Which is probably enough reason not to do it, as it is to do it.

I just attempted an Emulator Station install, configuring is going way over my head. But I'll have to figure it out soon.

I have all the Jak's on a PS2 in Tauranga, maybe I should just get myself a TV and do it that way. Use the PS2 emulator for games that I can't get a hold of otherwise.

(17-12-2015, 04:35 PM)GuyGo Wrote: I just attempted an Emulator Station install, configuring is going way over my head. But I'll have to figure it out soon.

I have all the Jak's on a PS2 in Tauranga, maybe I should just get myself a TV and do it that way. Use the PS2 emulator for games that I can't get a hold of otherwise.

Yeah EmulationStation will take a bit of dicking with, and you probably have to download all the cores needed too. Then you'll know my pain except its Linux.

Yeah get a nice large CRT. Literally being given away for free of TradeMe.

I'll grab a preset config if it's available.

And CRT's are kinda hard to get in Auckland for some reason. I'll need one for my N64 anyway. I feel half the charm of N64 games is the controller anyway.

(17-12-2015, 05:23 PM)GuyGo Wrote: I'll grab a preset config if it's available.

And CRT's are kinda hard to get in Auckland for some reason. I'll need one for my N64 anyway. I feel half the charm of N64 games is the controller anyway.

Aw and you loaded with an old N64 too. Yeah get a CRT when you can.

So, what are some good emulators to play the Metal Slug games? I know there is an anthology on PS2 but my PS2 emulator still isn't working.

(15-01-2016, 11:07 AM)GuyGo Wrote: So, what are some good emulators to play the Metal Slug games? I know there is an anthology on PS2 but my PS2 emulator still isn't working.

Easy. Download PPSSPP the PSP emulator:
http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

And then download the Metal Slug Anthology PSP game. I can provide a download link if needed of my own copy.

Bam. Metal Slug's 1-6 plus X done.

Otherwise you are gonna have to dick with NeoGeo emulators and BIOS files for ROMs of different versions. I have the roms due to my arcade, so I can provide those too.