• Welcome to The Video Game Forum
  • Place is pretty dead yo
  • Liam can suck my dick
  • Dom too
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Pains

I got Ground Zeroes pretty late into 2014 for a reasonable price, it was my first Metal Gear game and I was curious what all the fuss was about. I loved it so much that in anticipation for The Phantom Pain I went through and played all the previous MGS games. I wish that I hadn’t done so prior to playing The Phantom Pain because all it did was set me up for massive disappointment.

Don’t get me wrong I still really liked TPP but it was far from the experience I was conditioned by the previous games into expecting. Even Peace Walker, which shared the “Tactical Espionage Operations” tag instead of the “Tactical Espionage Action” of the older games, couldn’t clue me in because it still told a coherent and linear story albeit heavily and arbitrarily segmented.

Where it all went wrong for me was shortly after first arriving in Africa. By Episode 12 it really felt like the story was finally starting to pick up but after the admittedly spectacular Episode 13 I was back to doing “Main Ops” that seemed like they had as much relevance to the plot as the side ops did. There’s a great but short Metal Gear game hidden among a plethora of relatively irrelevant fluff. I totally get that a large part of the story is accepting any and all jobs unit to build up Diamond Dogs but I’m betting that if the game was given as much time/budget as it needed to be truly ‘finished’ then nearly half of the “Main Ops” would have ended up as those yellow ‘important’ Side Ops.

A lot of people are complaining about the recycled missions in Chapter 2. The problem I had with these was that there isn’t an Extreme, Subsistence and Total Stealth version of every mission. Why the fuck not? Ground Zeroes had Normal and Hard mode for every mission and the previous games had different difficulty settings, so why doesn’t this one?

Despite all these glaring shortcomings the core gameplay of TPP is the best MGS has ever seen. There is an almost unlimited number of ways to infiltrate every base and outpost. However despite all this openness I still have far less of a desire to replay TPP as I do the first 3 MGS games because the Mother Base metagame makes it all seem like such a chore and it’s not viable to completely ignore building up Diamond Dogs.

If I had to rate the series it would look something like this:

7. Peace Walker
6. Guns of the Patriots
5. The Phantom Pain
4. Ground Zeroes
3. Metal Gear Solid
1=. Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater

I really can't decide between these two. They're both spectacular games for very different reasons. One the one hand I love MGS2's deconstruction of what it means to be a sequel but I also love MGS3's bittersweet story. MGS3 has the better gameplay, making it more enjoyable on repeat playthroughs but MGS2 is, to this day, the only video game that could truly be considered 'art'.

Such originality, much wow!

(11-01-2016, 06:44 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Such originality, much wow!

That was me lol, I changed up some of the language for the sake of 4chan, mostly their 2000 character limit. I changed the origin of me getting GZ via GwG because I hoping to bait people into shitting on the Xbone but /v/'s apparently become a lot more accepting of it.

(11-01-2016, 06:46 PM)Kesh on Hend Wrote: I changed the origin of me getting GZ via GwG because I hoping to bait people into shitting on the Xbone but /v/'s apparently become a lot more accepting of it.

Classic.

Holy shit where have you beeeeen.

Jesus check my thread and all the rantings there:
http://thevideogameforum.com/showthread.php?tid=453

Last few pages are ending and post ending thoughts. All in all though: the game was disappointing and a shit way to end the series. Best gameplay of any Metal Gear so far, but that's about it.

Pls read.

(11-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Kesh on Hend Wrote: I got Ground Zeroes pretty late into 2014 for a reasonable price, it was my first Metal Gear game and I was curious what all the fuss was about. I loved it so much that in anticipation for The Phantom Pain I went through and played all the previous MGS games. I wish that I hadn’t done so prior to playing The Phantom Pain because all it did was set me up for massive disappointment.

Amen.

Kesh on Hend Wrote:A lot of people are complaining about the recycled missions in Chapter 2. The problem I had with these was that there isn’t an Extreme, Subsistence and Total Stealth version of every mission. Why the fuck not? Ground Zeroes had Normal and Hard mode for every mission and the previous games had different difficulty settings, so why doesn’t this one?

People are complaining because they drop it on you like its the rest of the game that's part of the main story line. You get shit all slow paced story in chapater 1, then chapter 2 turns into rehash missions YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO DO. You just play side ops or do other shit to pass time which triggers actual story related missions for the few there are.

The different difficultly and variants of missions could have easily been side ops and chapter 2 actually the rest of the fucking game. I don't know how much you have looked into it, but there wasn't definitely meant to be way more game, but whatever happened between Hideo and Konami really fucked the game up. I really can't imagine Hideo is 100% with this game and the game he wanted to release.

Kesh on Hend Wrote:Despite all these glaring shortcomings the core gameplay of TPP is the best MGS has ever seen. There is an almost unlimited number of ways to infiltrate every base and outpost.

Absolutely. Gameplay is 10/10

Kesh on Hend Wrote:However despite all this openness I still have far less of a desire to replay TPP as I do the first 3 MGS games because the Mother Base metagame makes it all seem like such a chore and it’s not viable to completely ignore building up Diamond Dogs.

Each to their own of course. That's basically my favorite part of the game, but its more dumbed down and basically and automatic system compared to Peace Walker, which I love way more.

In regards to your spoiler:

Kesh on Hend Wrote:If I had to rate the series it would look something like this:

7. Peace Walker
6. Guns of the Patriots
5. The Phantom Pain
4. Ground Zeroes
3. Metal Gear Solid
1=. Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater

I really can't decide between these two. They're both spectacular games for very different reasons. One the one hand I love MGS2's deconstruction of what it means to be a sequel but I also love MGS3's bittersweet story. MGS3 has the better gameplay, making it more enjoyable on repeat playthroughs but MGS2 is, to this day, the only video game that could truly be considered 'art'.

Your list is weak. Why is Peace Walker so far down. It's gameplay is dated as fuck now yes, and its better on the HD collection but its the perfect Metal Gear game for me. Brilliant story, lots of replayability, the same formula as all the previous Metal Gear games, shit loads of weapons, build yo base, etc. etc.

Each to their own though aye? The rest of your list is pretty spot on though. TPP is definitely the lowest which pains me to say.

Go read my other thread now and debate me there.

Thanks for playing and actually having an opinion on this. Alot of people haven't seen it through properly.