Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They Might Be Giants - Phone Power
So, They Might Be Giants have released a new album.

They've done a Louis C.K.

I know I've talked about them too much (and, in fact, I have a huge post about them coming up), but I really do believe they deserve huge props. These guys are under-sung. In fact, I'm certain that if one of their albums hadn't released on Sep. 11, 2001, that they would be big stars right now.

Anyway, they just released their new album as a digital 'pay what you want' Humble-bundle style download. Unlike HB, though, you can pay nothing if you want. I know you can already pay nothing for 20 years of their music, but please consider listening to the album, then paying a paltry sum to support them.

Oh, neat! My first bot post!

Download it here!
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
Hey, P.S. as a giant fan, I can't vouch for the album yet. I'm too poor to pay a reasonable sum for the album.

If any free downloader would like to offer their opinion, though, I would seriously love to hear it.
(10-03-2016, 10:30 AM)Jargonion Wrote: Hey, P.S. as a giant fan, I can't vouch for the album yet. I'm too poor to pay a reasonable sum for the album.

If any free downloader would like to offer their opinion, though, I would seriously love to hear it.

You don't wanna listen now and pay later? Don't feel right without paying first?
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
I've gotta buy first. I just gotta.
(10-03-2016, 10:30 AM)Jargonion Wrote: Hey, P.S. as a giant fan, I can't vouch for the album yet. I'm too poor to pay a reasonable sum for the album.

I'll give it a listen. Silentsun gave me a ride from Napier to Wellington last Sunday, so instead of paying him for fuel I'll buy this album
(10-03-2016, 10:30 AM)Jargonion Wrote: If any free downloader would like to offer their opinion, though, I would seriously love to hear it.

So here's my review of the album. Disclaiming: I'm not familiar with TMBG's previous work and had no idea what to expect.

The longest track in the album was 3:28, many were much shorter. There were 18 tracks. Several of the shorter tracks felt as if they weren't so fleshed out, some had the vibes of an intro/outro track. 

By far my favourite track was number 16: Bills, Bills, Bills . I think what set it apart from the others was a saucier guitar, and the vocals came through assertive, less restrained or tired. The lyrics were fun, the narrator complains about his boyfriend spending all his money. 

Most of the tracks seemed to have a fun idea but should've been developed more into an entire song. I'd choose 8 4 minute songs over 18 1-2 minute concepts but I dunno, these my humble opinions. 

Track 5 ended where it should've drum-segued to some fierce death metal growlery. If they'd done the album featuring Avenged Sevenfold from 2003 then this whole album would be incredible for me.

Summary: I feel like I'm not qualified to give a useful opinion of this album. However, I don't regret spending the 9USD that I should've given to someone else.

Score: 2.5 thumbs up out of a possible x where 0= x^2 -8x +15
Hey, can you confirm, since I haven't heard it yet...

Was this Bills, bills, bills?

If so, I am going to die.

I like what you've said, and am going to hold it all in mind. I like and already agree with a lot of what you said, and disagree without proof with some of the other things you said.

P.S. Marty Beller - the guy on the drums - is just as charismatic in real life as he is in the video. out of all the band members, I'm glad I got his autograph hanging on my wall.
Oh, right. Some background:

20ish years ago, TMBG had a service called Dial-a-song. It was a number you could dial, and it would play a song-of-the-week that they had recorded. It was kinda like a reverse answer-phone. (It's quite neat, actually, because a lot of the tracks later become more fleshed out or better polished).

They recently revived the service, but in the form of a website/phone app. That's why the tracks seem so short or underdeveloped- they're just small snippets of creative energy which they've been putting out on a weekly basis for the past few months, and they've bundled them up onto an album.

(This is the reason for the album name)
(10-03-2016, 01:26 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Hey, can you confirm, since I haven't heard it yet...

Was this Bills, bills, bills?

If so, I am going to die.

I like what you've said, and am going to hold it all in mind. I like and already agree with a lot of what you said, and disagree without proof with some of the other things you said.

erm, was that the intended link? I don't think Protestantism and the narrative of the song are related. Unless it is an extended metaphor and I do not understand the nuanced relationship between Catholicism and Protestant churches well enough to pick up on hints.
Mk, I've changed the link now.

Dumb me.