MAYBE, LET'S TUNE INTO THIS THREAD TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS UPCOMING GAME
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEST OF LOATHING

what are your thoughts Jar? Are you excited?

Haha sweet looks good. Looks way more animated than the first. I wonder how long they have been working on it?

For Jar:
How active is KOL still? Decent userbase?
Are they even making money from it?
In which case, did they just make this game for fun in their spare time? I saw no Kickstarter or anything else indicating a new game or funding for it.

I like the character classes, Cow Puncher for me please.

Hello everybody. Let's talk about some stuff. 

First off, yes, I am very excited about WoL. Very, very excited. I voted yes on the Green light before they'd even brought it to my attention. It seems I'm not the only one, because even though it's only been on the green light for a week or so, they've already rocketed to #22 out of how ever many thousand applicants are also on green light.

So, please, GO AHEAD AND VOTE FOR THIS GAME.

To help endorse this point, and tell you why, let me answer some of GG's questions:

WoL is currently being developed by Asymmetric Publications. Yes, they brought us KoL (more on that in a minute), but they also  brought us  the (failed) experimental Word Realms.

Word Realms was a bit rough. It was the result of a neat idea, a Kickstarter, and a failed execution. the game's neat, but just not great. This caused a lot of angst in the lead dev, and he's been in a bit of a slump ever since. You see, even though KoL is still making money, it's become a bit of a dead albatross, and the chance to make and develop a new game (that hasn't been around for over a decade) is too much to resist. So, this time, they doubled down. Yes, KoL is still great (and TOTALLY worth playing), and is still being updated, but a huge amount of effort has gone into WoL. We know this because we've heard all about it in the podcasts, and KoL has totally been neglected in favour of working hard on WoL.

So, yeah, there was no kickstarter this time, because last time it worked out shit. Kickstarter's trash for a lot of reasons. WoL is totally funded by the devs, meaning there are no expectations to be let down, and no backers who demand deadlines. It's a product of passion. I'm very excited.

Hey, speaking of- Last month, as Taco might remember, you could (and still can, actually) play as the three classes in KoL! It was a kind of tie-in/promotional thing. Good fun.

So, yeah.

GREEN LIGHT THIS GAME.

(26-05-2016, 04:38 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Hello everybody. Let's talk about some stuff. 

First off, yes, I am very excited about WoL. Very, very excited. I voted yes on the Green light before they'd even brought it to my attention. It seems I'm not the only one, because even though it's only been on the green light for a week or so, they've already rocketed to #22 out of how ever many thousand applicants are also on green light.

So, please, GO AHEAD AND VOTE FOR THIS GAME.

Greenlight'd

(26-05-2016, 04:38 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Word Realms was a bit rough. It was the result of a neat idea, a Kickstarter, and a failed execution. the game's neat, but just not great. This caused a lot of angst in the lead dev, and he's been in a bit of a slump ever since. You see, even though KoL is still making money, it's become a bit of a dead albatross, and the chance to make and develop a new game (that hasn't been around for over a decade) is too much to resist. So, this time, they doubled down. Yes, KoL is still great (and TOTALLY worth playing), and is still being updated, but a huge amount of effort has gone into WoL. We know this because we've heard all about it in the podcasts, and KoL has totally been neglected in favour of working hard on WoL.

Despite failed execution, would you recommend Word Realms? From checking the blurb it does sound pretty neat

(26-05-2016, 04:38 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Hey, speaking of- Last month, as Taco might remember, you could (and still can, actually) play as the three classes in KoL! It was a kind of tie-in/promotional thing. Good fun.

I do! and at first I thought this was some continuation/expansion/forum rebirth thread version of KoL until like 30 seconds into the trailer

Good news guys, it's 'Greenlit'!

The next question is, which reaction button do I press?