Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am regularly mad about advertising

Allow me:
http://theglamoroushousewife.com/2013/10...sic-style/

(03-09-2016, 01:35 AM)████ Wrote: Allow me:

ooh dang. But according to the definitions of this article, classic is:
The Glamorous Housewife.com Wrote:Discretion: The outfit doesn’t show off too much skin; it leaves something to the imagination

Flattering: It accentuates the wearer’s best aspects and hides the problem areas

Effortless: The person wears the outfit, the outfit doesn’t wear the person.

Tailored: This can also be called the “Goldilocks rule”; the clothing cant be too tight, nor too loose. It must fit just right.

Cultivated: The outfit must be accessorized in a way that compliments and doesn’t detract from the wearer.

which, to me, makes it a style adjective, not a style within itself. You could describe a Goth outfit as Classic if so long as it adheres to these principles. Without any other descriptors, the "Classic style" is just "any comfortable, non revealing clothes that suit you"

(03-09-2016, 11:32 AM)crispier taco Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 01:35 AM)████ Wrote: Allow me:

ooh dang. But according to the definitions of this article, classic is:
The Glamorous Housewife.com Wrote:Discretion: The outfit doesn’t show off too much skin; it leaves something to the imagination

Flattering: It accentuates the wearer’s best aspects and hides the problem areas

Effortless: The person wears the outfit, the outfit doesn’t wear the person.

Tailored: This can also be called the “Goldilocks rule”; the clothing cant be too tight, nor too loose. It must fit just right.

Cultivated: The outfit must be accessorized in a way that compliments and doesn’t detract from the wearer.

which, to me, makes it a style adjective, not a style within itself. You could describe a Goth outfit as Classic if so long as it adheres to these principles. Without any other descriptors, the "Classic style" is just "any comfortable, non revealing clothes that suit you"
You can likewise call a goth outfit as hipster or edgy without losing their status as a separate style. In the definition you've quoted, "classic" is a modifier to "outfit" and "clothing". I think the scholars over at GlamorousHousewife would have a similarily vague definition of edge or hipster without mentioning any specific items of clothing.
 Even if it's a broad style, classic still has the essence of "culture" while hipster refers to "counterculture". I reckon they're equally valid.

(03-09-2016, 12:07 PM)████ Wrote: You can likewise call a goth outfit as hipster or edgy without losing their status as a separate style. In the definition you've quoted, "classic" is a modifier to "outfit" and "clothing". I think the scholars over at GlamorousHousewife would have a similarily vague definition of edge or hipster without mentioning any specific items of clothing.
 Even if it's a broad style, classic still has the essence of "culture" while hipster refers to "counterculture". I reckon they're equally valid.

boooo

so broad as to encompass the world and bite it's own tail

may as well call it "pop"

yeah it's a broad style, but can't you say the classic ad looks "classic" and the edgy and hipster ones don't?

(04-09-2016, 07:40 PM)████ Wrote: yeah it's a broad style, but can't you say the classic ad looks "classic" and the edgy and hipster ones don't?

The term is too broad to be informative. Without context is has the same meaning as "default" which is not a style either.

I don't see the problem with advertising "default" customization in a real world sim. I'm sure there's people who want to play as a not-outrageous character. The ad doesn't refer to anything specific no, but it is still showcasing a style and that style is informative in this context - it means there is a space for ordinary folk as well.
"Hipster" doesn't pin someone down to a particular set of clothing either, it's similarly broad . My typical view of a hipster looks nothing like that.

(05-09-2016, 09:34 PM)████ Wrote: I don't see the problem with advertising "default" customization in a real world sim. I'm sure there's people who want to play as a not-outrageous character. The ad doesn't refer to anything specific no, but it is still showcasing a style and that style is informative in this context - it means there is a space for ordinary folk as well.
"Hipster" doesn't pin someone down to a particular set of clothing either, it's similarly broad . My typical view of a hipster looks nothing like that.

I agree with you that the "Hipster" label they use is bad. But I disagree with you that "default" is not a bad style label to use. I would additionally claim that "Edgy" is also a bad style label.

Lol

---