Hello There, Guest! Login RegisterLogin with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSVR Reviews & Impressions Thread

My first impressions after spending a night playing AdminGG's PSVR:

Headset
First thought is that it's very comfortable, the weight is really well distributed and it feels like it's sitting on your whole head rather than your face. I like the button which slides the headset in and out, although I did have some trouble getting it close enough to my face, I probably just need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it right.
Resolution is noticeably lower than Oculus or Vive, but once you are in a game it feels fine. Only issue I have with it is that text can be hard to read if you aren't looking right at it, I''ve read that getting the camera to measure your eye distance can make that better though.

Job Simulator
I didn't play this one but watched on while my flatmate did (I have played it on a Vive before). Hilarious game and a fun one to watch someone play around in, we had lots of trouble with the tracking of the controllers on this one.

Thumper
The term that the developers of this game use to describe it is perfect: "Rhythm Violence". This game is intense, put on some good headphones and lose yourself in this experience. After finishing the demo of Thumper I was pacing around the living room trying to calm down, it's a surreal and amazing game.

Rez Infinite
I never played the original game, but this feels really good in VR. The style of the game makes it feel like you've been transported into the matrix. Only played the first area but the way each hit adds to the music had me grooving away in my own world while my flatmates watched.

Playroom VR
I didn't expect much from this, but we had a lot of fun. Some really well designed minigames inside this, my favorite of which has to be the one where the VR player is the giant monster terrorizing the city, while the other players are little robots running away from it and then throwing stuff at them. Some really great ideas in Playroom VR, the asynchronous multiplayer stuff is a great use of the headset (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is still one of my favorite experiences of the year).

Overall

While the tracking on the controllers has been pretty hit or miss  (luckily we haven't had any issues with the headset tracking), the overall design and feel of the headset is impressive. Combine that with a huge potential install base and a good launch lineup of games, plus support for other experiences like watching movies, netflix etc, on the big screen. I'm feeling pretty good about the future of PSVR.

(14-10-2016, 09:18 AM)Pythagean Wrote: My first impressions after spending a night playing AdminGG's PSVR:

Headset
First thought is that it's very comfortable, the weight is really well distributed and it feels like it's sitting on your whole head rather than your face. I like the button which slides the headset in and out, although I did have some trouble getting it close enough to my face, I probably just need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it right.
Resolution is noticeably lower than Oculus or Vive, but once you are in a game it feels fine.

Yup I agree with everything here. The resolution is noticeably lower for sure, but only probably because I have used Oculus enough to tell the difference. It's all forgotten when you play games though, PS VR captures the true VR experience and that is the most important thing.

Pythagean Wrote:Only issue I have with it is that text can be hard to read if you aren't looking right at it, I''ve read that getting the camera to measure your eye distance can make that better though.

Yeah when you are looking at something it is focused fine and clear. But around where you are looking and in your peripheral vision shit is noticeably blurry. I think its a resolution and calibration thing though. We need to try that eye distance thing tonight and get it right. People are reporting it helps heaps.

Pythagean Wrote:Job Simulator
I didn't play this one but watched on while my flatmate did (I have played it on a Vive before). Hilarious game and a fun one to watch someone play around in, we had lots of trouble with the tracking of the controllers on this one.

This game is so much fun. All you do is mundane jobs but mixed with the humor of the game and being able to interact with it however you want is so fun. We did have some tracking issues for the PS Move controllers though. However once you went to bed last night I ended up playing again and sorted a bunch of it out. As long as you are completely in frame its fine. I also found out there is an option in the main menu to re-calibrate the game properly so that helps. Had a blast after that.

The only time I lost movement of the controllers was when I turned around of course and the lights the camera is tracking are blocked by my body. Luckily you dont have to turn around that much though. This is something Vive has over PS VR, as you have 2 cameras tracking all movement in 360 degrees.

Pythagean Wrote:Thumper
The term that the developers of this game use to describe it is perfect: "Rhythm Violence". This game is intense, put on some good headphones and lose yourself in this experience. After finishing the demo of Thumper I was pacing around the living room trying to calm down, it's a surreal and amazing game.

Yeah saw Pythagean pacing up and down after this one. It was the next game I tried after dinner. And I agree, the game is super intense. Will buy the full game.

Pythagean Wrote:Rez Infinite
I never played the original game, but this feels really good in VR. The style of the game makes it feel like you've been transported into the matrix. Only played the first area but the way each hit adds to the music had me grooving away in my own world while my flatmates watched.

Rez infinite is the shit for sure. Looking forward to playing more of this. I'm a fan of arcade shooters and this is an arcade-like on-rails shooter set in the Matrix as said. It's a trip for sure. Can't wait to play more.

Pythagean Wrote:Playroom VR
I didn't expect much from this, but we had a lot of fun. Some really well designed minigames inside this, my favorite of which has to be the one where the VR player is the giant monster terrorizing the city, while the other players are little robots running away from it and then throwing stuff at them. Some really great ideas in Playroom VR, the asynchronous multiplayer stuff is a great use of the headset (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is still one of my favorite experiences of the year).

Everyone got involved with this one! Fun for the whole house. It was really good and my girlfriend really loved it. Playroom VR contains 5 multiplayer games for up to 5 players. This game had us in stitches for about an hour. It's really fun, party game action to be had.

Addition games I tried:

Rigs Mechanized Combat League (Demo)
First game to make me slightly motion sick. Really want to buy the full game though. If it takes off, it's going to be a competitive esport. Basically its an arena shootout where you pilot giant mechs. Really fast paced.

Battlezone (Demo)
Awesome game where you are put in a first person perspective from inside a tank. You can look around the cokcpit and read everything on the display and dials. It tracks the PS4 controller and you can see it in game in front of you. Defs buying this game soon.

Sports Bar VR
This and job simulator we had the most issue getting the calibration right. But it helps when you read the tutorials too....
Once I had it sorted though it was sweet. Although I still can't throw darts for shit. Sports Bar VR is basically just a virtual pub where you can play pool and air hockey etc. It's online too which is cool. Haven't played online yet though.

Pythagean Wrote:Overall

While the tracking on the controllers has been pretty hit or miss  (luckily we haven't had any issues with the headset tracking), the overall design and feel of the headset is impressive. Combine that with a huge potential install base and a good launch lineup of games, plus support for other experiences like watching movies, netflix etc, on the big screen. I'm feeling pretty good about the future of PSVR.

While tracking won't be 100% perfect I think we can make it way better with proper calibration. Everything else I agree with.

The most important thing for me, and what PS VR delivers on, is that it really is the true VR experience when it comes to games and immersion. It's definitely on par with Oculus and Vive in that sense. For its price, it really is a great headset. Really impressed so far.

Sony is going all our with this for sure. The launch lineup is really impressive and the first in a long time where so many of the games appeal to me and I really want them all. Looking forward to the future!

Heres some pics of me wearing the headset:

AdminGG playing Kitchen on his PSVR:

Good scares are around 2:08 and 3:40