Hello There, Guest! Login RegisterLogin with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOG Sales!
Exclamation 

We have a Steam sales thread but what about a GOG thread? Arguably, and for me personally, its a better games distribution service than Steam.

What is GOG you ask?

Quote:GOG is a computer game sale and distribution service operated by GOG Ltd. The games can be purchased and downloaded online, and they are distributed without digital rights management. The prices of products typically range from about $5 to $10 for older games, along with special offers in sales held several times a week. Some newer titles have a higher price.

The user does not have to install special client software to download or run the games, although an optional download manager is available. After downloading, the customer retains full ownership to the products: they can be archived on any personal storage media for unlimited time. They are independent of the customer's GOG.com account.

This makes GOG absolute win.

Currently on sale we have:

The first 3 Hitman games:
  • Hitman: Codename 47
  • Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
  • Hitman 3: Contracts

For 10.37 USD (12.15 NZD)
http://www.gog.com/promo/hitman_contract...omo_200314

Also they have a Weekend game sale going on:
http://www.gog.com/promo/team17_blue_moo...omo_210314

Considering picking up the Hitman games. They any good?

Post any other good GOG sales or recommendations here!

Gog's alright, but I like the way Steam handles my games.

But yeah, the sales can be off the hook. I'll keep my eye out for ones you miss.

I have a GOG account, I think I bought 1 cheap game on there, and haven't used it since :P
People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?

Big list of games including Deus EX, the Hitman series, Legacy of Kain series, and the Thief series. 2 days only!

Nabbed myself $18 worth of games.

(06-04-2014, 01:42 PM)Grey Ghost Wrote:

Big list of games including Deus EX, the Hitman series, Legacy of Kain series, and the Thief series. 2 days only!

Steam had the same sale last week.
People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?

(07-04-2014, 07:26 AM)Kayos Wrote:

Yes but you can do what you want and own your GOG games. Remember its the difference in service with GOG.

(07-04-2014, 11:46 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote:
(07-04-2014, 07:26 AM)Kayos Wrote:

Yes but you can do what you want and own your GOG games. Remember its the difference in service with GOG.

Steam does what I need it to do - buy and play games :P I have GoG and may even own a game on my account, but I have barely used it

I heard they are working on a game sharing thing that is meant to work like - While I am not
playing one of my steam games one of my friends can play it

Sales thread, not a steam vs GOG thread.

(08-04-2014, 11:14 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Sales thread, not a steam vs GOG thread.

Opinions are welcome.

Square Enix sale is over now folks! The Hitman games were well worth the steal.

(07-04-2014, 11:46 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote: Yes but you can do what you want and own your GOG games. Remember its the difference in service with GOG.

Let's begin, shall we, with this statement:

(07-04-2014, 11:46 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote: Yes but you can do what you want

This is objectively true with Steam also. You are able to play your games offline and mod your games as you see fit. The only restriction Steam imposes is guarded servers, which globally ban you if you cheat. Cheating in a multiplayer game is a bag of worms hardly relevant to this discussion, so we'll put that aside for now. It's important to note that there's nothing stopping you from setting up your own server without a cheat-guard.

(07-04-2014, 11:46 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote: own your GOG games

Let's begin here with the definition of "own". All you own with software, with some rare exceptions, is the license to use the software. You don't own the game at all. But, since this is universal between all game retailers, we'll set that aside and define "own" as have physically on the disk.

You absolutely 100% own you Steam games too. Sure, you have to download them, but you have to download them with GOG too. It's also possible to back up your game, so you'll always have it. This does have the downside of needing Steam to re-install an play the game, but this is only a minor concern. Yes, GOG beats Steam on a system without connection to the internet.

Which raises a point touched on in the last two paragraphs. By buying the game on Steam, you own the license to the software. Theoretically, if you care so much, you can pirate a version. This gives you a version you can install on a system without an internet connection. I'll concede this is a controversial point, so I'll proceed no further.

(07-04-2014, 11:46 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote: Remember its the difference in service with GOG.

Yes, you are absolutely 100% correct. And that is why it's so hard to pick GOG over Steam.

Unlike GOG, Steam has dedicated servers, dedicated friends lists, the Steam Workshop, has game discussion areas specific to each game, and is a handy way to organize your games. This creates an environment conducive to playing and discussing video games, and makes it incredibly easy to play multiplayer with friends, or organize a session with strangers. The inbuilt messaging system is also handy, since it's in the same environment as the game, thanks to the overlay. Steam voice-chat is the same. Steam is a unified environment with amazing services. And, I almost forgot, thanks to Steam Cloud, all your save data (along with lots of other handy data) for most games will be available no matter which computer you're playing on.

Steam also conveniently has the store one tab away from your library. Not much of a bonus, but it's there.

Finally, Steam's library is just a really convenient way to manage all (most) your games.

GOG still has decent multiplayer, since there are always servers being hosted either by the publishers or random people. Otherwise, yeah, you've got txting and Skype for communication, but that's not a service provided by GOG.

Both GOG and Steam have games the other wont get, so I wont argue there.

I've read that Steam is confirmed to have a system in place that will let everyone get their games in the (extremely unlikely) event that they go bankrupt. GOG can circumvent that, because their games are DRM free.

So, yeah. GOG has one trick: Being DRM free. But Steam is a light DRM, especially since you can still play games in offline mode. Don't argue services, because Steam's got GOG beat. And don't argue ownership, because GOG has an extremely marginal edge.

EDIT

For the record, I like and respect GOG. They're a convenient way to play some really old nice games that wont run on modern systems without some complex patching. But, that's a niche thing for me. All I'm saying is, Steam's got GOG beat in almost every area, and unless GOG's doing sales on old games you can't get on Steam (Myst), expect few to no people to care when GOG's copying a sale Steam did two weeks before.