Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phat games
DOOM is 80 gbs. Tekken 7 is 80 gbs. I want to buy DOOM, but there's actually not enough space on my harddrive for it. wtf, it feels like I'm using a console or something. 240gb SSD on a modernish laptop and it's a real concern when buying games. what is this. On-jail-crazy-rabbit-emoticon
Yo this has become a thing I have noticedlike slot of game being over 50G.  Really what it comes down to is that modern games are using alot of uncompressed textures and sound because alot of modern PC gaming setups can handle it.  What happens though is that small machines are required to store these uncompressed files even if they don't end up using them due to lowering your settings.

Used to be you could download high quality textures if you want but now it's just always on your drive taking up space just incase you get a new graphics card or something.
240gb on a 'modern laptop'

Consoles start at 2TB these days.

What a fucking chump.

How in the shit is Tekken that big? Do they have no idea about file compression? Doom I get cause that game is hella pretty and has some giant assets. 80GB is still loads in any case though.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
yeah but that's not a 2tb ssd is it?  240 or 1/2tb was the norm when I bought it at least. don't give me shit on that.
Tekken, yeah. probably it got to 80 with just the sheer number of things. 40ish characters, 20ish stages. you'd be suprised at how big the stages are. theres also 2 bgm tracks per stage, and that'll be uncompressed I guess. it has the cinematic files of the whole campaign, and every previous tekken and all their music. character customization models too. also tekken is hella pretty too yo.
lack of compression makes it run faster as well for which I am very grateful.
but man, I really feel like I shouldn't be having this problem.
(09-08-2018, 04:32 PM)████ Wrote: but man, I really feel like I shouldn't be having this problem.

You will because you have an SSD. SSD's still aint cheap, and you are not going to find them in the multiple TB range in laptops under under 2k for awhile to come.

Really though you don't want games and shit on them. You want your OS and some programs and shit. Try not to fill em up. If its full, you will take a performance hit for sure. So when you say you can't find 80gb of Doom I hope it's not because you have 0 space left.
(09-08-2018, 11:52 AM)AdminGG Wrote: Consoles start at 2TB these days.

Yo the reason for this is that they require you to install all the games you get these days just to run the games at a decent speed. Disk drives just don't cut it anymore. I was not surprised at all when Nintendo went with cartridges with the switch. I remember just the other day AdminGG stated that Breath of the wild was only 10Gb on his switch with all the expansions and it's down to the fact that they can just run the games pretty much straight off the card.
(09-08-2018, 04:32 PM)████ Wrote: lack of compression makes it run faster as well for which I am very grateful.
You can decompress audio on like a 1MHz CPU. If anything, compression makes it faster due to greatly reduced I/O.

But it's game devs we're talking about. Those who are probably forced to work 16 hour days and just don't care any more, as long as the damn thing works.
(01-09-2018, 02:36 PM)Blue Ghost Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 04:32 PM)████ Wrote: lack of compression makes it run faster as well for which I am very grateful.
You can decompress audio on like a 1MHz CPU.  If anything, compression makes it faster due to greatly reduced I/O.

really? that doesn't sound right.. devs have been putting in uncompressed audio into games for speed reasons for a while I thought.
(04-09-2018, 12:10 AM)████ Wrote: speed reasons

Quality is my picking.
(04-09-2018, 12:10 AM)████ Wrote: really? that doesn't sound right.. devs have been putting in uncompressed audio into games for speed reasons for a while I thought.
Computers get faster over time, whilst audio decompression doesn't get any slower. In other words, the relative CPU power for handling decompression decreases over time, and has been in favor of doing it for ages now.

In really old games, there's some benefit, but the drawback is the massive increase in size. Simpler decompression techniques have been used in those cases.