Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Property Tax
Get a load of this guy.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
(20-08-2018, 07:52 PM)Kalazarc Wrote: Could probs just monitor power and water usage. You could definitely get around this by leaving the lights and sprinkler on though, and I don't know that I want to encourage wasting resources as well as hoarding property. And the kinds of people who this is trying to target are most likely cunts, so they wouldn't give a fuck about wasting some resources.

Totally true. People squat properties and make it look like they live there just to get in the right zoning areas so they can send their kids to particular schools.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
If I'm not renting my properties out to make even more bank, I'm sure as fuck tearing any houses down to avoid the SS monitoring my electricity and water usage.
Imagine a reality where the government forces everyone to meet an electricity and water consumption quota just to avoid more tax. Fuck those hippies!
Scene:

A man gets off a plane after a month of holiday in Australia. Immediately, men in black suits swarm the tarmac, cuff him, and take him to the work camp.

His crime? Not leaving his lights on and shower running while he was gone. All his land? Rightfully confiscated.
Haha, damn straight. He got what he deserved.
(20-08-2018, 07:45 PM)Kalazarc Wrote: I would say, abolish GST entirely. Having tax on any purchases not only hurts poor people, it encourages everyone to buy outside of the local economy and/or to not spend their money at all. I would have thought the government would want to encourage their populace to spend money to help grow the economy.
If you get rid of it, then most tax would have to be collected via income tax.
Rich people often have more scope/resources to 'massage' their income tax, e.g. via negative gearing, profit shifting etc, and there's some likelihood that they could be paying less income tax than the middle and lower classes.

A great benefit with consumption tax is that you can't really 'massage' the numbers around it as easily. The rich should generally be spending more (otherwise there's not much point in being wealthy), so they'll naturally be paying more GST. Consumption tax can also be varied to be higher on product/service classes typically attractive to the wealthy.
The downside is that the rich tend to spend proportionally less of their income on consumption, relative to the poor.

On the other hand, raising income taxes to cover the loss from the removal of consumption taxes would discourage productivity, which itself hurts the economy.

The foreign spending dimension is an interesting one. Tariffs can perhaps be used to level the playing field a bit, but that in itself is a double edged sword.

There's no simple answer to all this, but a bit of both seems to work best in the end.