Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Games You've Completed 2017/18/19?
Is there a wishlist thread somewhere in the deepest caverns of this dead forum?
Don't think so. I can't get the search feature to work very reliably. Make one booooi
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Some of the criticisms are bang (the notes are not directive but going for a not 100 percent run they're fine) on but you just spend more time exploring it's still fun. Ocarina of time doesn't direct you and that's praised to the heavens (my favourite game of all time). Banjo wasn't intuitive either... some was but it was a nightmare at times! I think since these people have beaten it before they already know the solutions to the issues in that game so in hindsight the flaws aren't as obvious. The mention on world expanding and being able to play however you want was crystal clear the game tells you when you are at the first world! You just have to read and not skip the text, I found the jokes landed well. There are signs where to go...

I'm not expecting anyone to go and buy it but it's a perfectly fine successor.

That hat game looks sooooooo wooden and ugly. I saw people in the comments mentioning it last night so I looked it up. Might play well but it has zero charm.

Banjos controls in the original aren't tight either... Yooka Laylee is fine. Hollow Knight is great, tight controls!.... but by these criticisms. Hollow Knights direction and intuition by comparisons to Yooka Laylee is a fucking Nightmare! Hollow Knight doesn't tell you jack shit I've spent hours lost not knowing what to do, or where to go and being blocked until I get a certain skill trying to make impossible jumps...this will be masked by "but it's a metriodvania". Double standards.
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
(14-08-2019, 09:58 AM)benswitch Wrote: Some of the criticisms are bang (the notes are not directive but going for a not 100 percent run they're fine) on but you just spend more time exploring it's still fun. Ocarina of time doesn't direct you and that's praised to the heavens (my favourite game of all time). Banjo wasn't intuitive either... some was but it was a nightmare at times! I think since these people have beaten it before they already know the solutions to the issues in that game so in hindsight the flaws aren't as obvious. The mention on world expanding and being able to play however you want was crystal clear the game tells you when you are at the first world! You just have to read and not skip the text, I found the jokes landed well. There are signs where to go...

I'm not expecting anyone to go and buy it but it's a perfectly fine successor.
fair enough
Quote:That hat game looks sooooooo wooden and ugly. I saw people in the comments mentioning it last night so I looked it up. Might play well but it has zero charm.
honestly that's what I thought when I first saw it around release date, like it has no soul. I think I'm just receptive to any 3D platformer released on pc.
Quote:
Banjos controls in the original aren't tight either... Yooka Laylee is fine. Hollow Knight is great, tight controls!.... but by these criticisms. Hollow Knights direction and intuition by comparisons to Yooka Laylee is a fucking Nightmare! Hollow Knight doesn't tell you jack shit I've spent hours lost not knowing what to do, or where to go and being blocked until I get a certain skill trying to make impossible jumps...this will be masked by "but it's a metriodvania". Double standards.
Good double standards though.
(14-08-2019, 09:58 AM)benswitch Wrote: "but it's a metriodvania". Double standards.

Sorta, they are entirely different genres. I don't think its a double standard. Metroidvanias are characterized by having a large sprawling interconnected map to explore and backtrack on when you have certain items/powers etc. That's part of its genre and how the game plays, so its to be expected. That's what you are getting into.

Banjo Kazooe like games are adventure/action/platformer games with lots to collect, bringing about their own genre: collectathons.

You should get Hat in Time next, comparatively, its got overwhelming positive reviews and is the same sort of game.

Yeah the banjo comments are probably true, it would more than show its age by now. Hence the games being made as successors to it. Bringing it back while being modern.
I think the biggest issue is game design should at least be better, we have games like Mario Odyssey now. What sunk it it's that it's ties to a false memory of Banjo and marketing of this was done using Banjo to catapult it, living of hype and nostalgic ties. (I've been playing for 18 hour now over the last 4 days).

So the Hat game is good? I'm happy to lend the cart for switch when you're in the Bay give it 5 hours or so and see what you think.

Yeah, just too many double standards for me tho...
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
Yeah Yooka Laylee and Hat in Time were both heavily compared to each other and both came out in the same year. Hat in Time has like 15k+ positive reviews in Steam and average 9/10 rating. Yooka Laylee is like 7/10 and half the reviews.

Hat in Time is either already out, or coming to Switch this year!

Yeah im happy to give it ago, i know nothing other than what i've heard (for both Yooka and Hat in time).
Yooka Layee's flaws are highlighted in end game because finding Pagies isn't obvious (here's the bad game design, even Mario 64 the level would give hints at the star objective or location). So when you're getting the 100 Pagies for the last boss out of the 150 in total. It's only a problem if you're trying to rush (game reviewers obviously have to get through a lot and fast for their job), if you're just exploring and playing the game it's fine. I'm cruising, I'm 27 hours in now so I'm obviously chilling... The last worlds a bit lame they definitely started strong and rushed the game towards the end I think.

Now another problem the game has is (it didn't bother me in the beginning it happens every now and then once in 10 or 20 mins) the game will jump like 15 frames a head like a time skip. It's frustrating in a game when you're killed or miss the challenge out of not fault of your own doing. If I lose fair a square fine...get good. However, when the game glitches on a challenge you've been working on for like 15 mins and then you have a flawless run and you're about to complete the challenge and the game glitches... and you fail. It's a wee bit rage inducing.

Still I feel a 7/10 game it is what it is. I'll play banjo again for a refresher to see if it is the be all end all. I started in again at beginning of this year and it was fun but I put it down 8 hours in and felt no need to return.
If you done, then give that Stop Skeletons video a watch over. See how accurate it is.
Pretty accurate they're a bit too brutal... Banjo wasn't that good. They off on a couple of things worlds it does tell you you can play how you like by expanding the world, I though the game was self-aware and funny.