Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you playing right now?
Obligatory thread.

What are you currently reading?

I (like most people nowadays) have a decent sized backlog and try to get through it while doing all my other life things.

Currently I am reading:

Kobo: Frostbite:A Vampire Academy Novel by Richelle Mead
Non Fiction: Robespierre, Virtue and Terror, (selected texts of Robespierre selected and annotated by Jeam Ducange, translation by John Howe, Introduction by Slavoj Zizek)
Academic: Analytical NMR eedited by L.D.Field and S.Sternhell
hahah a word for word piss-take as well.

I'm currently reading Season of Storms by Andrew Sapkowski. He's the dude who wrote all the Witcher books that I love and that the games are based off.

The main book series ended in the 90s, but due to hype around the Witcher games he hopped on the pay-wagon again and wrote another book in 2013/4. It just got recently translated so I picked it up. It's of considerable less quality than his previous books. At first I wanted to say it was the translator, but its the same guy that has translated the entire series. The writing is weaker and more... generic I guess. I think it's obvious he's just shitting out a book to cash in on the hype around the games that he's unfortunately really salty about. I'll tell you why I think this:

1. The book is stand-alone, based in-between his first two books which are just compilations of short stories set in no particular time period other than before the main series. So he created the perfect book to ignore and write off everything that's happened so far.
2. It's pretty bog standard story-wise so far. He's picking the same old tropes from all his other books really. Geralt and Yennefer are in an off-period again. So he bangs some other hot sorceress instead, but wait he can't stop thinking of Yennefer no matter how balls deep he gets.
3. Spoiler alert hes forced to get involved in some contract to kill something like usual.

The last point may be a little weak, he's a Witcher and that's his job. But I feel like he's beating a dead horse with the 'Im Geralt and im jaded and grumpy all the time, and now I've been forced to do a thing I shouldn't be forced to do'. The only redeeming thing so far is that Dandelion was around for a little bit and I always like his character, and that Geralt has no swords, which seems to be the whole sell of the book. He needs to rely on his Witcher magic and on skill more than usual.

Ok read so far. I totally blew off Jordan B Peterson '12 rules for life' for this. Clean your room.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(09-07-2018, 01:36 PM)AdminGG Wrote: The last point may be a little weak, he's a Witcher and that's his job. But I feel like he's beating a dead horse with the 'Im Geralt and im jaded and grumpy all the time, and now I've been forced to do a thing I shouldn't be forced to do'.
Yeah I guess if he can't get any interesting character development? If Geralt is a static character then he at least ought to be used as a lens to view the development of some secondary characters?

(09-07-2018, 01:36 PM)AdminGG Wrote: I totally blew off Jordan B Peterson '12 rules for dating my teenage daughter' for this. Clean your room.
Honestly don't get why you're into this guy. You seem like the sort that he'd deem already actualised and functional. I thought he was reaching out to guys who seemed a little more hopeless?
(10-07-2018, 05:57 PM)crispier taco Wrote: Honestly don't get why you're into this guy. You seem like the sort that he'd deem already actualised and functional. I thought he was reaching out to guys who seemed a little more hopeless?

Exactly, but it's all incremental. You can always improve on yourself at any level.

(10-07-2018, 05:57 PM)crispier taco Wrote: Yeah I guess if he can't get any interesting character development? If Geralt is a static character then he at least ought to be used as a lens to view the development of some secondary characters?

He's definitely not a static character, I think the issue is more he wrote the book all those years later just cause he could catch the popularity surge again.. I'm only half way though. Although half way is a lot for a book to be decent or not already.
(10-07-2018, 06:17 PM)AdminGG Wrote: half way is a lot for a book to be decent or not already.
Yeah I think the last few chapters of Moby Dick make the rest of the grind all worthwhile, but in the staggering majority of cases by 50% in it's a good indicator that the book is a dud.

On the other hand, John Fowles' A Maggot had a couple of crushingly excellent moments in the early part of the book and then was boring and frustrating for the remainder. . . . although I sort of suspect that was the point . . . I think he got off on making his readers suffer
(10-07-2018, 06:41 PM)crispier taco Wrote: On the other hand, John Fowles' A Maggot had a couple of crushingly excellent moments in the early part of the book and then was boring and frustrating for the remainder. . . . although I sort of suspect that was the point . . . I think he got off on making his readers suffer

When that's your fetish that's your fetish right.

Whats the book about?

Also I blew off Catch 22 for 12 Rules on how to fuck my mother so I'm just a let down for you all around.
(10-07-2018, 06:50 PM)AdminGG Wrote: Also I blew off Catch 22 for
you can stop right there and not

A Maggot is set in puritanish-era England and Wales, I think a generation before people started emigrating to the American colonies. It has themes of the occult and witches and large chunks of it is legal interrogation of witnesses, but there is one passage which I really really loved;
Show Contentthe majority of page 56 of A Maggot:
Yeah thats a pretty cool passage. Worth the read or not then? How do you find these books?
(11-07-2018, 05:01 PM)AdminGG Wrote: Worth the read or not then?
After saying it's mostly trash, finding that passage and flicking through the book makes me actually want to re-read it. It's pretty dry reading though, and just fucking read Catch-22 already
(11-07-2018, 05:01 PM)AdminGG Wrote: How do you find these books?
I just sort of stumble around at random in second hand book stores, unity books or whereever people abandon piles of books for free (it has happened multiple times where I work now) and grab whatever looks cool or has a cool title. Actually judging the book by its cover
(11-07-2018, 06:00 PM)crispier taco Wrote: and just fucking read Catch-22 already

After 12 rules for making the perfect sandwich.

(11-07-2018, 06:00 PM)crispier taco Wrote: grab whatever looks cool or has a cool title. Actually judging the book by its cover
That's a pretty good hit rate judging by the books you talk and post about. Although I guess you don't talk about the duds because, well, there duds.