Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toastie Picklegate
This article on The Spinoff gives us two commercial toasties recipes used by cafes in Auckland and Wellington.

Interestingly, they both use pickles in their toastie recipes
also interestingly, they both use the exact same brand of pickle
and suspiciously, they use the exact same flavour of this brand of pickle

[Image: mZbx7Bq.jpg]
what is it about these pickles that make them so suitable for good cheese sandwiches?

But also, who the fuck puts pickles in their toasties anyway? Everytime I do they get far too hot and burn off the roof of my mouth. Is this standard practice?

Where does "sweet and spicy" get off as being the best pairing for cheese?
At first I went to their site to get answers and found you could buy four jars of pickles for $40, or 12 jars for $99. I guess they primarily target commercial suppliers and real pickle enthusiasts? But then I found out they are also sold at other places so I think in time I will go find some and inspect the labels and the flavours carefully.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
Do you put pickles in your cheese sandwiches? Do some pickle flavours clearly lend themselves to the flavour of cheese? Does this shadowy pickle distributor make you feel suspicious, uneasy? Have you ever ordered a cheese toasty at a cafe??
I put pickles in mine when I feel like doing anything other than just cheese. Pickles, correctly sliced, are GOAT.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
(22-08-2018, 05:57 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Pickles, correctly sliced, are GOAT.

Just thick enough to crunch? Short ways or long ways? Sort of diagonally?
Are you fucking culinary retarded? It's about the element of sour and minor sweet that the wafers add. The crunch is up to preference.
(22-08-2018, 06:48 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Are you fucking culinary retarded?
holy shit lol

this is you now
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(22-08-2018, 10:50 AM)crispier taco Wrote: Do you put pickles in your cheese sandwiches? Do some pickle flavours clearly lend themselves to the flavour of cheese? Does this shadowy pickle distributor make you feel suspicious, uneasy? Have you ever ordered a cheese toasty at a cafe??

1. No I don't. Not big on pickles. Reverse question: Should i be?
2. I think so (based I when I have had them with cheese)
3. Seems like the know a good pickle to bulk buy which is of a certain quality?
4. I have! On the way to Wellington is some small town where the food is baseline-shit.
Don't be a hater
Okay so here's a fun new ingredient for the whole family:
Nduja
[Image: GnLLz7R.jpg]

It's a type of salami that has so much oil and fat that it's actually just a paste. When the ancient Italians invented it they didn't mind that they had clearly fucked up their recipe, they said to themselves "Yes this is still salami even though we need to keep it in a jar and scrape it out with a spoon."

It's great in a toasted sandwich though! You don't have to deal with that thing where you don't bite cleanly though a piece of salami and you tear it out of the sandwich and whatever.

[Image: BBKT1vJ.jpg]

It fuses into the cheese under heat. Highly recommend. Or for cheaper, just buy meat paste and mix your own spices in.
(30-08-2018, 08:24 AM)crispier taco Wrote: It's a type of salami that has so much oil and fat that it's actually just a paste.

Sign me up and bring this over tonight please. I must try.