Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Forum Game: The Crystal Mage Bitching
Somebody help me
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
(29-08-2018, 06:07 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Somebody help me

I still think your system is probably overly-complicated when you can do all of regular DnD on paper. Yours is basically the same, just your own spin and characteristics on things.

If the Google Spreadsheet is a problem due to having a limit on the amount of calculations you can have in a single cell, then you should move it all to MS Excel.  That way you are not restricted, and then once you do calculate values, you can then manually enter them in a Google spreadsheet on a sheet only you have access to or something, to then pop up on a community sheet we all look at.

Again, I don't know much about what you are trying to accomplish, its been along time and in reality:
a. I didn't listen (highly likely)
2. your over complicating it as said
III. I'd rather sit on my ass and have you complete the thing you wanted to make as its your project after all.

To be fair, and excuses aside, I am here to help. But you have to get past this giant excel formula thing first. Again, my honest feedback for giving a shit in the moment right now is:

- get the thing out of google and into excel if its restricting you
- do the calculations on your end, pen and paper if you must (use already established DnD shit?), then move the results into a community sheet we can all see
- lets at least start the game. Its better than doing nothing for a year on end

It's not like we are gonna be there in person watching and waiting for you, its gonna be a shit talking thing over Discord or Skype in a call. If you can at least simplify your systems a little then we could at least start playing the actual content of the game and get somewhere. It can keep evolving as we play with you adding more shit to it, so you can slowly get it to where you want.

To repeat myself a third and final time cause im bad at writing, my understanding is the formula is still the road block. I can't remember for what. If its combat you can easily simplify that with how DnD runs things for now, and figure it out as we progress.

Topdog Topdog Topdog
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
I want someone to tell me how a function on the sheet works. It's a pretty standard function, but I have no experience with coding, so I'm not sure how to translate the explanation on how to use it into something I can understand.

The sheet is worling perfectly, I just need help understanfing how to get this function to work. If I did it on MSExcell, I'd have the exact same issue. It's not a case of it being impossible or unrealistic, I literally just don't understand how to implement this totally basic function. I've asked you to translate it a few times, but you had other things to do.

I am using a sheet, because I want the game to track everything, instead of relying on flawed human calculations, (dis)honesty, and an immense speed up in how fast things can go. I already have several complex systems in place which function seemlessly, and take no time at all to use, adding great depth.

Combat is done, piss easy. Stats, etc. are done. Piss easy. Inventory can work, but it's garbage, and the DnD model is garbage, too. I don't want my players repsonsoble.for remembering the half dozen effects that each bit of gear has, and remembering to change them as they chamge their gear. This function allows you to equip an item by hitting one key, and applies all the stat changes, etc., in an instant. No sneaky business, no spending five minutes for each bit of gear change. Gear is complex, I want gear complex, and this is the answer.

I've done othing for a year because I haven't really given a shit about it. I want to make this a reality, but I'm stuck on something literally ou of my understanding, there isn't any documentation translating this function into layman words, and the only guy I know who can help is busy.

I just need someone to put this mystery function into English.

I am confident that it is so trivial to  a  non-brainlet that it could have been done in the time it took you to hammer out your essay.
(29-08-2018, 08:26 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: III. I'd rather sit on my ass and have you complete the thing you wanted to make as its your project after all.

I guess that's fair. It's exactly what I did when you made this forum and then pestered us daily to post on it.
Hey, its me, the coder.

Not sure what you mean by 'the function', but maybe if you can help me understand, I can help you understand?
(30-08-2018, 11:36 AM)Jargonion Wrote: I've done othing for a year because I haven't really given a shit about it. I want to make this a reality, but I'm stuck on something literally ou of my understanding, there isn't any documentation translating this function into layman words, and the only guy I know who can help is busy.

Well at the very least im the guy who knows guys. And they are turning up to help now.

I think you made pretty reasonable progress tonight though. The spreadsheet is a little messy, but its usable. And can be tweaked over time with the help of others.

Your words are, after tonight, spells are the last thing left to figure out for combat.

Over-all, where does that leave us? What is left? What is the level of completion?

The one good thing about this shit old forum is that is good for this kind of communication, get a bunch of thoughts down that people can address at a later time when it suits them.

(30-08-2018, 10:28 PM)Oathy Wrote: Not sure what you mean by 'the function', but maybe if you can help me understand, I can help you understand?

Get him to let you in on the Google spreadsheet. I think its actually simple enough as he says. I didn't have the capacity to deal with it tonight off the top of my head though. Sounds like there is enough of a work around for now.
Yeesh, guy doesn't know what a function is? I was so in over my head I was just making shit up.
I've spent too long this morning trying to quote you saying the spreadsheet is messy.

It's beautiful.
(31-08-2018, 06:21 AM)Jargonion Wrote: quote
Aint hard bra

I mean yeah, it works and its a beautiful thing for you. I only meant messy in the sense that you had a work around in place for last nights issue (requiring duplication of the same table).

Otherwise yeah, work of art. (Honestly its pretty clean, Im not hating).
Tonight, if I have four players, I can do a series of combats to start tuning and balancing.