Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Dead Redemption 2
This game sucks.

The game insta killed me when I tried to hunt the bear at the start. It also controls as poorly as Max Payne 3.

Not impressed so far.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
I have heard the controls are a bit clunky. I'll finally be starting it tonight.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Anyone any further in this? Im well used to the controls and gameplay now. Grown on me heaps, but I still think its pretty clunky.
Work's put my life on hold until next week, but the fact you're in railroaded missions in an open world pisses me off beyond redemption.
(14-11-2018, 04:57 PM)Jargonion Wrote: railroaded missions in an open world

It shouldn't be an issue, but it so often is.

I hate how in that same open world, it just locks you to a slow walk for 15 mins or locked to follow NPCs, or not allowed to get out your guns yet, etc. etc.
(14-11-2018, 04:57 PM)Jargonion Wrote: pisses me off beyond redemption.
pun intended?
fucking
(15-11-2018, 06:37 PM)Jargonion Wrote: fucking

Please tell me your further thoughts
Ok, I've played a lot over the weekend.

I've got the hang of the controls a dozen hours ago- I can do whatever I want, but it still feels awful.

I hate that I spend hours and hours doing stuff like hunting, but at the end of it all I have nothing to show for it. You either have to waste huge amounts of time only going for pristine animals, or end up settling for useless garbage. I get that hunting's meant to be recreational, but tying so many nice upgrades into it in the early game is such a drag. FC3 did it better- fuck pelt quality for making satchels.

Inventory management is still a pain in the ass.

It's still a gamble to see if the way I want to do a quest will work out. Like, I found the junior foreman who was stealing wages, and was happily surprised to see I could hogtie him and bring him back to the foreman. But, on the flip side, it's a load of bullshit that I can't just shoot Mary's brother's horse (or anyone else's) during chase sequences.

I've found 2/3 serial killer sites, and I'm enjoying that very much.

I've found 2/x treasure map locations, which was neat. I had a real "oh, this is the place on that map" moment.

I found a giant skeleton in the mountains, which was neat.

I had a prisoner appear out of the brush asking for me to remove his shackles. It occured to me a literal day later that I probably could have hogtied him and brought him back to the nearest jail for a reward. Instead, I hogtied him, walked him to the nearest river and threw him in. I wasn't sure if he'd drown, and I think people can eventually break free from the ropes, so I sat by the riverbed and polished my shotgun incase he didn't perish. He did, eventually, perish.

I like finding all this neat stuff hidden around. I am indifferent to the story or quests. I hate everything else.
(19-11-2018, 04:02 PM)Jargonion Wrote: I like finding all this neat stuff hidden around. I am indifferent to the story or quests. I hate everything else.

Great summary, I feel mostly the same.

The attention to detail and all the things you can do when not on a story mission is so great.

I too got a hang of the controls ages ago, but they still suck. Agreed. Inventory can be a pain, agreed.

(19-11-2018, 04:02 PM)Jargonion Wrote: It's still a gamble to see if the way I want to do a quest will work out. Like, I found the junior foreman who was stealing wages, and was happily surprised to see I could hogtie him and bring him back to the foreman.

Man I found this too. I made him run away never to come back, grabbed the cash, thought about taking it, went 'nah i'll return it' only to return and have everyone randomly hostile at me, start and instant shoot out and call the popo. $120 bounty later and everyone dead I was so pissed off. Once shooting starts, there is no option to just peacefully surrender when the law turns up so you don't increase your bounty.

(19-11-2018, 04:02 PM)Jargonion Wrote: But, on the flip side, it's a load of bullshit that I can't just shoot Mary's brother's horse (or anyone else's) during chase sequences.

This is a big inconsistency throughout. and is such a pain. Like you say, in some situations you can do whatever which is cool to find out. In others like this the game is all "no no, I want you to chase these people, but im not going to directly tell you that, im just going to let you find out by yourself you can't do something you otherwise would normally be able to do". Contradicts the gameplay and options previously setup.

The animal pelt thing depends on your kill. An arrow to the head is a clean wound and will result in a really good condition pelt. But yeah, I only really hunt sometimes to get food for the camp and keep my karma up.

I met a guy writing a book about a bunch of old gunslingers. He then gives you photos to find them and talk to them. Resulting in anything from shoot outs, loot, new companions etc. I'd recommend those.

I'm somewhere in chapter 3, little over halfway if that.