Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Depository's Best Books Ever
Book Depository has made a list of 91 books that they've called the Best Books Ever
but maybe should be renamed the book collection for basic bitches

How many have you read? Any you've been meaning to?

I've read:
A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

I've started but not completed:
The Iliad by Homer
Republic by Plato

Mean to try Republic again, and maybe give Lolita a go sometime
> no gulag archipelago

Is it not that good or just a Peterson meme?

I don't think I've read anything, only started. I only had a couple minute look through though.

Guess what I still havent read but own just to make you cry cause you gave it to me. Catch 22 sessions of me not reading it.

I want to read the Alice books, they any good?
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(24-01-2019, 07:16 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: > no gulag archipelago
Is it not that good or just a Peterson meme?
Probably just less acclaimed than the three Russians on the list already: Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Chekov(of the gun).

(24-01-2019, 07:16 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: I want to read the Alice books, they any good?
They are good, and quaint, and easy light reading

The Prince is also pretty easy reading (Looking at you Kalazarc, if you ever check this forum again ever)
and The Picture of Dorian Gray is a pretty quick read as well
Dostoyevsky.

I've heard that name before, and a google shows books i recognize.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Leo Tolstoy did War and Peace and Anna Karenina which are considered to be absolutely incredible by many. I have read a few of his novellas and did not enjoy them so will never bother to read his big books.
Anton Chevok make a famous remark about a gun on a wall and so his name is famous for not only being good at literature (I cannot even name a single thing he has written but apparently he is famous for that) but also for the "Chekov's gun", it came up in like the second episode of Archer which is secretly the true proof of being influential literature

including the Russians, there 28 books on the list originally written in not-English (~30%). Not sure if because the best literature transcends language or because for so long English was a trash peasant language for the illiterate.

Angela Carter has two books in the list and I bet that's a mistake.
Chekov's gun is a tenant in popular modern (red: terrible) tv shows. That said, the concept is revolutionary.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]