Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicola Willis wants less school holidays for kids
Nicola Willis Wrote:I think it's time to talk about whether a six-week school holiday makes sense in 2019. Should the summer break be shortened to five or even four weeks? This year I'll be working on a Private Member's Bill to get the conversation started.

In an article in The Herald, Nicola Willis has suggested that because it's expensive and time consuming to care for kids during the school holidays, we should have less school holidays for kids.

This may be a result of the changing attitudes and laws about how much supervision is appropriate for children (a lot more than before), but sending them to school because they're inconvenient seems a bit shit. Shouldn't we be talking about other options? Free community center projects that people can throw their kids at where they develop other skills or run around in the grass or something? Idk

thoughts?

ps: also she states that kids get dumber over the break which is I guess is pretty legit
Nicola Willis again Wrote:Research shows the "summer slide" in student achievement is real. Kids' literacy abilities can decline over the six-week break, with one study showing students losing months of progress over summer. Much of term one can be spent getting kids back to where they left off the following year. This is a real barrier to achievement.
Actually, all they do is extend the other holidays, not end up giving them more school. It ends up being more convenient over all.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
ACTUALLY
ACK TUAH LLY
(29-01-2019, 05:36 PM)Jargonion Wrote: all they do is extend the other holidays

I'll look out for that if she ever writes that private members bill I guess.

Good controversial (potential) members bill though, most of the ones I've read so far have been super boring
(29-01-2019, 12:49 PM)crispier taco Wrote: but sending them to school because they're inconvenient seems a bit shit.

Living with a Social Worker I often hear that it does put pressure on low-income families having their kids home all day for over a month, so I don't think its simply inconvenience.

We shoul-

(29-01-2019, 12:49 PM)crispier taco Wrote: Shouldn't we be talking about other options? Free community center projects that people can throw their kids at where they develop other skills or run around in the grass or something? Idk

Oh. Yeah, basically this. Government funded school holiday programs even? Even so 6 weeks to 5 or even 4 doesn't seem like too big of a deal.

(29-01-2019, 12:49 PM)crispier taco Wrote: students losing months of progress over summer

Those gosh darn video games strike again! It's the Fortnite I say!
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(30-01-2019, 08:28 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Living with a Social Worker I often hear that it does put pressure on low-income families having their kids home all day for over a month, so I don't think its simply inconvenience.

It's precisely a massive inconvenience for them to look after their kids. I'm not unsympathetic that it's a burden but it's quite clear that we send our kids to school during the working day because that works for adults, rather than it working for the kids.

Sending kids to school more because poor people can't afford to take work off to look after them is a bad solution to a real problem, unless it's accompanied by a huge school reform to make schools everywhere provide the appropriate services.

Like, our teachers are striking right now because conditions aren't good enough, corralling kids in there longer and working the teachers for more hours is not a great move as far as I reckon

(30-01-2019, 08:28 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote:
(29-01-2019, 12:49 PM)crispier taco Wrote: students losing months of progress over summer
Those gosh darn video games strike again! It's the Fortnite I say!

The irony isn't lost on me, but just want to table that fortnite probably sustains literacy and numeracy better than whatever kids use to do in their holidays (kick dogs, ride bikes, seance etc), but the absence of doing good reading and stuff like that is the parents fault for not raising their kids well imo

get the social worker on the forum?
(30-01-2019, 09:23 AM)crispier taco Wrote: It's precisely a massive inconvenience for them to look after their kids. I'm not unsympathetic that it's a burden but it's quite clear that we send our kids to school during the working day because that works for adults, rather than it working for the kids.

I meant it wasn't an inconvenience from my point of view because looking after my kids would be fun and you love your kids etc. And that the problem is feeding those kids for longer and having to take the work off (usually) creates more pressure. That in-itself is inconvenience, sure.

(30-01-2019, 09:23 AM)crispier taco Wrote: get the social worker on the forum?

I'll ask for a type up tonight aye?
(30-01-2019, 02:12 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: I meant it wasn't an inconvenience from my point of view because looking after my kids would be fun and you love your kids etc.
come back to me when you have kids and slip into morbid fantasies of smothering them in your sleep

(30-01-2019, 02:12 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: I'll ask for a type up tonight aye?
yes pls
(30-01-2019, 08:29 PM)crispier taco Wrote: come back to me when you have kids and slip into morbid fantasies of smothering them in your sleep

Dog you know me. Can you imagine when I have kids? Gonna be the best time (mostly).

(30-01-2019, 08:29 PM)crispier taco Wrote: yes pls
I forgot...

Will ask later tho