Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch-22 [spoilers]
Based on the popular book from the 60s, this new show just came out last week with all 6 eps ready to binge watch from the get go.

I'll be watching one a night, and so far have seen two.

This thread is for chatting about it, so spoilers beware etc. etc. etc.

Ep 1. Good introduction, pretty good casting. Went their own way with a few things and diverged from the book (usually the case tho aint it). I agree with Tofu in that most of the cast all look the same, and they established each characters name with a title card then it moved straight on. Someone died, and we are trying to figure out who....

I think if you have not read the book, this might be more enjoyable. The book is a hard one to live up to I think, but hey it's only ep 1.

--------------------------------

Ep 2. Getting better? Milo's character is nail on the head. But Cathcart isn't doing it for me. He's too authoritarian whereas in the book he was unsure of himself all the time and way less direct.

"They made a Danby outta Korn" - so right.

We lost Clevinger in ep 2. Pretty accurate to the books. RIP.

The texan scene was ok, from memory in the book though there was alot more of them in hospital at the time, not just Yossarian.

Also the Chaplain turned up which is cool. Next ep looks like it will be Bologna!

This thread is gonna be a lot of "but in the book" I feel.

WHERE IS HUNGRY JOE

WHERE IS CHIEF WHITE HALFOAT

They probably gonna skip or merge a bunch of characters since there are so many and only 6 eps. GoT up in this bitch.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
I've been reading a lot of magic realism recently and so really re-tuning into the absurd moments in Catch-22: Clevinger disappearing in a cloud, the man in white, Orr's plan, Nately's Whore and her assassin arc, the Kid Sampson/McWatt moment, Milo the mayor, dying of pneumonia, hungry joes nightmare and Huples cat

They're all so incredible but would be a real challenge to translate to a visual medium.
- They disappeared Clevinger perfectly but ruined it by dragging out reactions and playing dramatic music. They made it tragic instead of confusing and mysterious/sinister
- I enjoyed their man in white, their adaptation worked better for the show I think
- Orr isn't the small excitable freak that he is in the book, they haven't invested in Yo-yo distrusting his abilities, if they end up doing that bit I think it'll feel unearned
- It seems certain they'll use the Nately's whore assassin bit (that kid who sold Yossarian a magnifying glass is definitely her kid sister)
- I definitely want McWatt to say "oh what the hell" and fly into a mountain. This is my new cleganebowl get hype
- 100% we will see Milo the Mayor. Unless they are cowards

Yossarian in this is definitely more scared and less competent than I read him in the book, once again I think this is fine. While he has always been the main character there are many chapters where he is not the POV.

'I'm cold'
'There, there. There, there.'

The Snowden scene is the most important scene in my whole life and I really need them to pull it off
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
(27-05-2019, 10:38 PM)crispier taco Wrote: - 100% we will see Milo the Mayor. Unless they are cowards

The thumbnail image for ep 4 heavily implies this.

(27-05-2019, 10:38 PM)crispier taco Wrote: - It seems certain they'll use the Nately's whore assassin bit (that kid who sold Yossarian a magnifying glass is definitely her kid sister)

yeah how do you feel about Natley's whore in the show? She's not tired or jaded at all, and in the 60 seconds we've seen her with Nately, shes clearly already infatuated with him. It was more impactful and funny in the book that she was indifferent about him the whole time until she gets a good sleep and realised she loves him.

(27-05-2019, 10:38 PM)crispier taco Wrote: - They disappeared Clevinger perfectly but ruined it by dragging out reactions and playing dramatic music. They made it tragic instead of confusing and mysterious/sinister

Agree. Was done well. It just disappears perfectly that it even takes you a second to realise Yossarian is not looking at the nice view, and rather where the shit did that plane go.

(27-05-2019, 10:38 PM)crispier taco Wrote: they haven't invested in Yo-yo distrusting his abilities, if they end up doing that bit I think it'll feel unearned
Yeah this is a pretty big part to the end of the book, so they better get on it.

Still don't like how he even refers to himself as Yo-yo. It's too early. Yossarian is such an odd sounding name, especially for an American. In contrast Yo-yo is a fun nickname, and it comes from his new roomies that he dislikes because they are young, rowdy, and careless. They treat him well, are always happy to see him, and he just can't stand it. Especially at that point of the book with all thats happened.

Here's hoping for a good Snowden scene. Show me more of Yossarian's ass.
(28-05-2019, 07:38 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: how do you feel about Natley's whore in the show?
Yeah she's a totally different character now, his total infatuation with a girl so totally phlegmatic and indifferent to his love was such a great picture. She feels less of a character now as a prop

(28-05-2019, 07:38 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Still don't like how he even refers to himself as Yo-yo.
Yeah I think it's my own brain being dumb but in my mind he was always so much more Assyrian than he probably was intended by the authour, and certainly more so that in the show. Like, Italian Americans aren't like Italian Italians, but have so much Italian flavour. Not that the one Assyrian guy I've ever known was a huge cultural diplomat for the ethnicity but whatever.
...on a similar note, I expected them to remove the racial slurs (the Texan included Negros in his list of people without means, Dunbar accuses the Texan of dissapearing the man in white because he's black, some of Chief White Halfoat lines) but not sure how I feel about tiptoeing around stuff like race... I mean it's not a critical part of the book but whatever
(28-05-2019, 08:44 AM)crispier taco Wrote: but not sure how I feel about tiptoeing around stuff like race... I mean it's not a critical part of the book but whatever

They'll probably avoid it all together by not having those characters in the show. The cast of the book is big, and I think the handful of soldiers we've seen plus the commanders/Majors/Sergents are all we are going to get. They seem to have skipped a lot of minor (kind of?) characters already:

No Hungry Joe
No Dunbar
No White Halfoat

judging by the cast on Wikipedia this seems to be correct
I started filling in your list but there are far too many names

there are also a lot of unnamed characters (eg Chaplain Shipman) who appear but will almost certainly not get their story elements

missing notables
one of the nurses (I think we have Nurse Duckett so maybe Nurse Cramer is missing?)
Major Danby has been fused into Colonel Korn
No generals so far
Captain Flume (it would've been so good to have the Flume-White Halfoat story)
Giuseppe (the soldier who sees everything twice)
Gus & Wes
I just realised they'll probably skip the going over the bridge twice part; Yossarian blames himself for Kraft being killed when they go over the 2nd time, but instead he can blame himself for Mudd being killed for Yossarian giving him bad directions and being shanghai'd into a mission
(28-05-2019, 03:16 PM)crispier taco Wrote: I just realised they'll probably skip the going over the bridge twice part; Yossarian blames himself for Kraft being killed when they go over the 2nd time, but instead he can blame himself for Mudd being killed for Yossarian giving him bad directions and being shanghai'd into a mission

yeah there has been no Kraft, so I guess you are correct.

(28-05-2019, 03:16 PM)crispier taco Wrote: one of the nurses (I think we have Nurse Duckett so maybe Nurse Cramer is missing?)

Cramer is MIA. In a cloud maybe? Or Switzerland?

(28-05-2019, 03:16 PM)crispier taco Wrote: Captain Flume (it would've been so good to have the Flume-White Halfoat story)

Yeah this would have been great. I guess that would have had to keep chucking it in randomly since it's a running joke?

(28-05-2019, 03:16 PM)crispier taco Wrote: Giuseppe (the soldier who sees everything twice)

See now this one is a tricky one. Timeline-wise, when does it happen? It's after the bridge bombing I think, but it's one of those random chapters that im not sure where it falls. The book goes back and forth a bit and by the end its been a good year or so. They easily chuck it in as a random scene that plays into Yossarian's mental state degrading a bit.

Yeah far to many characters. This is why I need to re read. I think it will only get better on each re read so you can follow each little story better.

Ep 3 tonight!
Show ContentEpisode 3 Terrible Episode:
We doing spoilers now aye?

Show ContentHAHA what an ep:
(29-05-2019, 08:21 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: We doing spoilers now aye?
wasn't sure if you'd seen the episode yet haha