Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Games You've Completed 2017/18/19?
Just writing a list of games I've completed in the last few years. What are some of yours? What surprised you (hidden gems/hype jobs)?

Now, these I've tried to rate harshly as they're the games I saw through to the end and completed and I want a 10 to mean something. If I don't vibe with a game I just won't finish it so there's probably a hundred or so that just didn't make it. So consider 6/10 good haha!

I find it hard to fairly rate old games against new it's an unfair comparison. Do I rate them for their time or do I rate them how they hold against modern games with generations of refinements?

Breath of the Wild -WiiU...Refreshing and a really good experience. 10/10
Ocarina of Time -N64....Again, I really wanted to see after beating Breath of the Wild if I had the same love for this Zelda game. It's been my favourite for a long long time! 10/10 Conclusion torn between the new and the rose-tinted nostalgic journey. 
Bayonetta -WiiU... Fun but meh, Just a devil may cry/god of war game in a new skin. 6/10
Klonoa -Wii... Really great games 2.5D platformer. A remake of the PS1 game 8.5/10...maybe a 9.
Luigi's Mansion -NGC... Nice and unique game. 8/10 
Final Fantasy X -PS2  9.5/10
Kingdom Hearts 1 -PS2  8.5/10
Kingdom Hearts 2 -PS2  8.5/10
The Last of Us -PS4       9.5/10
Xenoblade X -WiiU... Meh, the characters' stories are only developed through side quests so you really don't care for or connect with them(Unless you dive into 200hours). Good concept and nice open world. 7/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -NS ... 140 hours later, if you enjoyed the Wii original you'll enjoy this. 10/10 Most other users I imagine will feel it's a 7/10.
Heavy Rain -PS3 6/10 I didn't predict the villain.
Beyond Two Souls -PS3 6/10 Really great story and twist but it's not a game for everyone. Is it a visual novel?
Uncharted 2 -PS3... Overrated pretty boring maybe I had it ruined by the hype. 7/10
Beavis and Butthead -SMD... Great co-op sega game tough as nails! 7/10
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -NS... A great entry in the Mario Kart Series 8.5/10

South Park Stick of Truth -360... What a refreshing take on the RPG genre but too easy. Great for a laugh and cruisy RPG. 9/10
South Park Fracture But Whole -NS... I had to after the first! Combat developed from turn-based RPG to a fire emblem turn-based strategy game at first I wasn't sold by the end I was. 8.5/10
Pokken -NS... Meh, fun idea but boring. 6/10
Mario Oddesy -NS... Brilliant! This Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario 64 are 10/10.
Final Fantasy 7 - PS1... Better than I remember, I played disc 1 as a kid, completed at 15. So playing it again was a refresher. I think it's overrated but still very good! 8.5/10 
Mario Tennis Aces -NS... Great multiplayer game, the story mode was a nice try but it just missed being fun somehow. 6/10
Batman Tell Tales -NS... 6.5/10
God of War -PS4 This is how you refresh a franchise, great character development, doesn't forget its roots, the story is good the bond between father and son was done well. Combat done well, the right ratio of puzzles, combat and story. 10/10
Horizon Zero Dawn -PS4... Great game! Fun story, great combat, Scenic and 9/10
Bio Shock infinite -360... Crazy story! Mind bender but the gameplay was meh. 6.5/10
Super Smash Ultimate -NS... World of light was meh but you know why we get Smash. The multiplayer and character variety is great! 9/10
Dragon Fighters Z  -NS...7/10
Octopath Traveller -NS... What a beautiful game design! What a tribute to the 16-bit RPGs of yesteryear! Games a high 9/10.
Crash n'sane trilogy -NS... Harder than I remember...7/10
Spyro Year of the Dragon -PS1... Like an old friend coming to visit. This game is a casual stroll and an easy game to fully complete 9/10
The Bridge -NS... Surprised me 4 dollar game and I enjoyed solving puzzles. 5/10
Pokemon Quest -NS..I fell down the rabbit hole here 250 hours. It's not a good game but it was free and I.. I.. I like pokemon? I think I just wanted to catch them all. 4/10
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 -NS... Meh 4.5/10, Kind of fun in the beginning but repetitive.
Fable 3 -360...Meh 4/10
Catherine -PS3... Ohhhhhh. A must play for me it's a 9/10 but I loved the puzzle solving as a kid I'd hate a puzzle solver as an adult they've grown on me!
Yoshi Story -N64... If you're ever feeling down the colours are sure to brighten up your day and easy platformer that never got the credit it deserved 8/10
Pokemon Alpha Saphire -3DS... 6.5/10
Streets of Rage -SMD... 7.5/10
Final Fight - SegaCD... 6.5/10
Breath of the Wild...Again and DLC -NS 10/10
Batman VR - PS4... Introduction to VR mind-blowing and sold me on the idea short but solid game! 7/10
Tricky Towers -NS... Great for everyone! Non-gamers just brings everyone one in simple concept. Easy to play hard to master. 8/10
Crawl -NS... A great example of don't judge a book by it's cover. I really didn't think I like this game! I've had a blast play this with friends a great multiplayer game! 7.5/10 
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna - NS... With Xenoblade Chronicles (wii) and Chronicles 2(switch) being in my favourite games of all time I really wanted to enjoy this prequel to #2 the story was fulfilling, mechanics were good but the was just compulsory side quests to progress the games it was just a cheap money grab but the visuals and world was great so it was a missed opportunity...sign... Inner fanboy took the hook, line and sinker on this one 5/10
Super Mario Party -NS... Really glad the game went back to its origins a step in the right direction but it was missing the brutality of the first 7 games. 6.5/10
Wind Jammers - PS4... Didn't understand the hype, I thought it was going to be boring...My physical copy from limited run games is in the mail....8/10
Tekken 3 - Pi... My favourite in the series I grew up playing this version, went through unlocked all the characters. Love this game 8.5/10 
Dragons Lair - Sega CD 6/10... So you think dark souls is hard? Try this game in original form with no prompts....
Wirehead - Sega CD 6/10 I feel it deserves but the got 7.5/10 enjoyment from it. A movie you control there was an era on the Mega CD where video base games became a thing like dragons lair. A friend and I played this for like 4 hours trying to memorise how to get to the end. Part of what made it so fun just sitting down with a friend I think. Like the good old days.

Majoras Mask -N64... 9/10. maybe an 8/10 is it overrated?
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance -NGC... 8.5/10 Long game, tough and intensive combat permanently losing (30ish) units is a learning curve!
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn -Wii ...9/10 It's just a step up from its previous game seriously a hidden gem here. Progress. I only lost 2 units this time.
Undertale -NS... 9/10 maybe even a 10/10 I'm unsure. It plays with your typical RPG tropes and warps them. Must play in my book.
Let's Go Pikachu -NS...7.5/10
Wonder Boy Dragons Trap -NS 7.5/10
Grimm Fandango -NS ...7.5/10
Skyrim -NS... 8.5/10 I'm late to the party here, it's clunky but for how old the game is what a gem! Maybe its rating should be higher.
Persona 3 -PS2... 7.5/10 Hype killed it for me, it was lackluster maybe not lackluster but grindy so it took a loooong time to beat. The end was sad and beautiful.
Alex Kidd -SMD... 5/10 SMS original I feel was better.
Metal Slug 1 -Pi ...7/10
Metal Slug 2 -Pi ...7/10
Metal Slug 3 -Pi ...7/10 
Metal Slug 4 -Pi... 7/10
Metal Slug 6 -  I haven't played, I stand corrected four in a row melted my mind! Great games! But they don't change much, bad guys, aliens... and oh wait Zombies!?
Valiant Hearts -NS... Nice surprise here, I wasn't expecting much but great little gem here. 7/10 
Master of Darkness -SMS... 7/10 certain parts easy and the last boss not so much...
Dr Mario -N64... 6/10 I dig this game!
Kingdom Heart 3 -PS4... 6.5/10
Pandoras Tower -Wii...  9.5/10 hidden Gem. Great dungeon design, an interesting mix of JRPG and a shadow of the colossus feel here.
Spec Ops -PS3 7/10 Great wee gem.
C.T.R. - NS remake 9.5/10 tied with Mario Kart 64 for greatest kart racer of all time
Dragon Quest Builders 2 - 8/10 NS I don't even know if it's good I'm just so addicted....
Fire Emblem Three Houses - 9.5/10 NS Loved it couldn't put it down 70 hours, many choices in the story, characters and great strategy games that you can play in so many ways maybe my game of the year at the present point. I didn't lose a single unit this game.
Yooka Laylee - NS 8/10 Loved it a great spiritual successor to the Banjo series, doesn't deserve its heavy criticism. Fanboys need to take off the rose tinted glasses and chill this game is every bit as good as the O.G. Banjo games(and I'm a Nintendo fanboy...).
Tales of Vesperia - NS. Tales games are interesting because they're kinda wooden with the character animation, but the cut scenes and amount of dialogue full flesh out characters over the journey. Some of the hard-hitting moments are limited in the delivery but the game is a great take on the JRPG franchise. 7/10
Final Fantasy VIII - NS For me 10/10 for others, I'd rate it 8/10 ;). Playing this remaster is the best way to play it as long as you can resist the urge to cheat. You rob yourself. Now this being my personal favourite FF game, I'm bias as hell (completed this game around 5 times). I feel it didn't get the deserved credit it deserved, a shallow look at the game the story is convoluted. The more you look at it and put in in context the more it makes sense. Using Guardian Forces slowly erase memory, I kind of like the idea that everything has its cost and nothing is free. You obtain instant unearned power and there's a cost. You're child soldiers, that's bound to cause the mind to collapse and shatter memories in self-preservation. I feel the plot can be hard to follow so people dislike it because they don't understand it. My first FF game I completed and I like them in order of 8>10>7>12>6 that'd be my top 5. 
Snipper Clips - NS... This game is a brilliant co-op puzzle solver, on your own meh 3/10 with a player 2 it's a blast! 7/10
Astral Chain - 9/10 Banging game great balance of fighting, story and puzzle-solving(not tough puzzle but fun)!  
Links Awakening Remake - NS 8.5/10 Better game than I expected bosses were easy, dungeons great and the art choice was perfect!
Untitled Goose Game - NS 7/10 -You get to be an arsehole goose with objectives, it's nice to see something a little different.
Oninaki - NS 8/10 - Great concept and plot, wee bit grindy through the dungeons but a solid game with good mechanics.
Mortal Kombat 11 - NS 7/10 - Interesting port impressive but the anti-aliasing right after the fight is emersion breaking beards and hair look terrible!
Saturday Morning RPG - NS 6/10 - Funny a little RPG piss-take great little 5 hours rpg with a good sense of humour.
Celeste - NS 8.5/10 - A bit tough for me. Not my normal kind of game but something special! Beautiful story here. 
L.A. Noire - NS 8/10 - I love the clues and the system for investigating. Refreshing to have something a little different.
Spyro Remaster - NS 7/10 It's not as good as the year of the dragon, the first in the series it's less polished and level design needs some work. 
Shaq Fu - NS 4 or 5/10 it's a shit game really but I'd have fun in co-op wait I'm not sure it's even co-op. It's a beat em up style game with little depth.
Bastion - NS ?/10 I enjoyed the narration as you play. I'm not sure how to really describe this game action rpg?
Transistor - NS ?/10 First impression I liked the animation but it being darker than bastion I wasn't a fan of but it eventually won me over and ended up better than Bastion. Similar style of game with a few improvements to combat.
Pokemon Snap - N64 6/10 - I really want to like this game. I mean I do but I know it's nostalgia, not great gameplay. You photograph pokemon unlock tool to 'catch em all' on film. I enjoyed it for the first hour. I soon began to tire of doing the same courses over and over again. I played this once at an EB games demo unit in a store so it wasn't enough for me to memorise what to do. It was neat to see 3D pokemon in their environments doing their thing. I imagine if you knew how to beat it, it would be a fun flashback.  
Luigi's Mansion 3 - NS 8.5/10 Great Follow up in the series. Follows the formula pretty standard except it's more level based... There's a terrible pun...

Working my way through these still in 2019
Bayonetta 2, one boss fight in... Lost interest.
Hollow Knight, 12 hours in rage quit... Great game tight controls just can't be bothered traversing the map. 
Wonder Boy Monster World, very beginning... 
Wind Waker, currently looking for triforce and on that note Fu#k Tingle! Least favourite Zelda game so far I've heard the Wii U HD version gives a new quality of life. The original on GameCube is boring, sailing(it started so well! I enjoy the dungeons), is boring, hunting for triforce pieces is just filler to make a small game feel bigger. It would've been better if they'd just focused and made the game tighter more intuitive... forced fetch quests aren't fun. 
Earth Bound, is fun and quirky, my snes mini is in the box I just can't be bothered pulling it out or restarting it on the Pi. 
Hyrule Warriors, 6 missions in, pretty fun mindless game if you wanna chill and just tinker not an in-depth story-based game.
Link to the past 9, dungeons in of I believe 11 or 12. A good game I need to finish!
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
Woah, what a list! I'll post one too.
Now this is some quality content. And game related too! We have been blessed. Clearly im not pulling my weight. Benswitch for forum admin?

Metal slug 6 ain't on the RetroPie man, so you must mean 5... But im positive we never played 5. It took 5 games to add a new mechanic (ground sliding) and im sure we didn't play that one yet cause I would have remembered myself talking insistently about that and gushing further about Metal Slug. I vote we play 5 next time even if somehow we did play it, then we know for sure haha.

Then we could play 6 on the Wii collection...

I too will do a list, but ill need to go over Steam/PS4 etc. trophy and achievement stats to see what i really played and when.

I can do a few off the top of my head though as I haven't played much this year:

2019:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Played it on PS4. From Softwares latest game. Probably their best so far, my fav so far and pretty equal with Bloodborne. Amazing combat and gameplay. I haven't played a game this hard but so rewarding in my life. 10/10

Wargroove - Been waiting for an Advance Wars successor for a long time, and I somehow missed all the buzz around this game 2 years ago when it was kickstarted. It's fantastic. What I wanted and more. Decent campaign mode, top multiplayer, really good map editing/creation tools. Fantastic custom scenario/event tools. I want more content already. Sunk 110+ hours into it already. 8-9/10 (i have minor gripes stopping the full 10/10)

Shakedown: Hawaii - from the creators of the 8bit Retro City Rampage comes there new 16bit openworld GTA-like game. Much better than the frist, but still leaves alot to be desired. I've sorta fallen off this one due to Dark Souls. 6-7/10 so far.

Dark Souls 2 - as posted in my other thread I started this game a month or so ago. Goddam fantastic. So good, got me right back into the Souls games. 8-9/10 easy.

Dark Souls 3 - haven't finished it yet but about 70% through I'd say. waaaay better than 2, really fluid and fast combat, looks great, plays great, and kicks my ass. What more could you ask for. 9/10 so far.

Risk of Rain 2 - oh boy I've been waiting for this game for such a long time. I loved the first game. Love the gameplay loop
(similar too Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon in that regard). You die but just want to go again or you either die and just want to cry and never play again. It's the only game in my recent and far memory that has been able to move from 2D to 3D and still work so well. They nailed that transition. Can't wait for further updates with new content (it's still early access atm). 8/10 so far.

2018:
God of War - holy fucking shit this game. What a reboot for a franchise. I tend to gush and exaggerate a lot about games, because if im happy, then I tend to score the game well without having to get too critical on it. But beleive me when I say this game is a TRUE 10/10 no hyperbole here the game is top shelf shit. The combat alone is 10/10. Its just so good. Add in everything else for an amazing game. 11/10

Read Dead Redemption 2 - this is gonna be an unpopular opinion for sure, but man I fell into the hype of this game. First time in a long time probably. It's just GTA but the with cowboys. Now I know people are gonna be like "yeah, no duh" but really it feels not much different than GTA V gameplay-wise. And the gameplay in GTA is passable at best. But you dont mind cause you are playing it for silly fuck around and do anything fun. The gameplay holds RD2 back so much. It's clunky, really slow, and the gun play is traaaaaaasshh. Holy fuck is impossible to manually aim in this game without the autoaim and assist options on. I could go on, but I won't. Besides that is truely fantastic. Incredible graphics, awesome open world, infinite things to do, great story etc. Just, you know, the MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL: gameplay, isn't the best. All the positive points really bring up its score, which saying a lot 8/10

Octopath Traveler - fantastic game that I only played one of the character campaigns of. It's great, and reminiscent of classic Final Fantasy games. But didn't hook me enough to play the other campaigns. Nice graphics, good gameplay, beautiful sound track 8/10

Dragon Ball Fighterz - The best fucking fighter to come out in a long time! (besides Tekken 7 most likely). Arc System Works does it again. 10/10 for style alone. Tight fucking fighter and i love it but no one of my friends play it on my level 9/10

A Way Out - a really unuqiue 2 player coop game that came out last year. Nothing game changing gameplay-wise. Standard 3rd person action/shooter game really. But the way it plays in coop (which is the whole point) is why its so good. Really enjoyed this one. Can't wait to see what Mr. FUCK THE OSCARS has next up his sleeve. 8/10

Spider-Man PS4 - A really really really good Spider-Man game. First decent one since idk when. The gameplay is so good. Great combat, really good movement with his web slinging. Such a joy to play. This would have been my personal goty if God of War hadn't been so incredible already. 9/10

Moss - VR game for PSVR/PC etc. Nothing special on paper, but in VR its really good. Short game, 5 hours maybe? Play as a cute little mouse with a tiny sword fighting bugs and shit. Story driven, great little immersive VR experience. 7/10

Astro Bot Rescue Mission - secretly GOTY 2018. This game is incredible. Redefining the platforming genre in VR. It's so good and innovative. A joy to play with great level design, locations, music and gameplay mechanics. 10/10

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - best 4 player left for dead clone of 2018 for sure. Most members of the forum all jammed this together last year for 40 hours or so. Great game, great class systems, great levels, fun as fuck. Need to play it again soon for the new DLC's. 8/10

I went a little further as I remember 2018 games I played. Probably played way more but this is what i have down so far.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(25-06-2019, 09:23 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Now this is some quality content. And game related too! We have been blessed. Clearly im not pulling my weight. Benswitch for forum admin?

Metal slug 6 ain't on the RetroPie man, so you must mean 5... But im positive we never played 5. It took 5 games to add a new mechanic (ground sliding) and im sure we didn't play that one yet cause I would have remembered myself talking insistently about that and gushing further about Metal Slug. I vote we play 5 next time even if somehow we did play it, then we know for sure haha.

I went a little further as I remember 2018 games I played. Probably played way more but this is what i have down so far.

Always interesting to see how our taste in games varies and how we rate our games I feel like I'm ruthless on rating, if 10 is perfection(perfection within an era as advancements and innovation will eventually take and evolution in gaming) or in the ball park of I'll rip games I love down to 7's to give weight to truly great games. 

There are games like War groove I've played inside out but haven't beating the campaign. How does one beat Mario Party, Mario Kart, Wind Jammers etc. For multiplayer do we say if it's had an investment of 10 hours, 15 hours or more?

I'll edit my post update things as I remember and add games I remember... Just remembered Batman VR short game but woke me up to an immersive experience! Loved the small puzzles and end. I was just looking around my game room to remember games I'd played recently so not a complete list of completed games but an insight to my taste as a gamer I love JRPGs but time is a precious commodity. I think it's the idea I can grind my way past difficulty and takes the anxiety out of gaming as you can over prepare and whoop ass.

(25-06-2019, 02:00 AM)admin_sucks_dicks Wrote: Woah, what a list! I'll post one too.

[Image: giphy.gif]
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
(25-06-2019, 10:07 AM)benswitch Wrote: There are games like War groove I've played inside out but haven't beating the campaign. How does one beat Mario Party, Mario Kart, Wind Jammers etc. For multiplayer do we say if it's had an investment of 10 hours, 15 hours or more?

Yeah you can't "beat" or "finish" some games. But if you've played them for even a few hours you can pass judgement on them for sure. I'd say not completing the Wargroove campaign doesn't take much away from it. The true experience for us has been the multiplayer experience with friends.

(25-06-2019, 10:07 AM)benswitch Wrote: Always interesting to see how our taste in games varies and how we rate our games I feel like I'm ruthless on rating, if 10 is perfection(perfection within an era as advancements and innovation will eventually take and evolution in gaming) or in the ball park of I'll rip games I love down to 7's to give weight to truly great games.

Yeah game ratings are always personal and subjective. It's always opinion, always varies from person to person. A great game can usually be judged by the wider consensus around it however. As said, im usually easy to please. Only games I really sunk time into or go back to, I can really get critical on.

Will do the rest of my post when home. Will do 2017 which we all know was BREATH OF THE WILD BABY HAHAHAHA 10/10
[Image: tenor.gif]

Alrightyy then time to add those 10 hour plus multiplayer games. Side note Breath of the wilds name could easily have been named 'Risk of Rain' and maybe a more appropriate name.
(25-06-2019, 12:14 PM)benswitch Wrote: Alrightyy then time to add those 10 hour plus multiplayer games.
switch to age of empires 2 only game you'll ever need

Games 'won' but definitely not 100%'ed

2017:
West of Loathing - 7/10 I could've fallen harder in love with it, I blame myself

2018:
Streets of Rogue - 5/10 fun but not worth the time

2019:
definitely not dark souls - 0/10
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
(26-06-2019, 05:55 PM)taco Wrote: Streets of Rogue - 5/10 fun but not worth the time

150 hours/10 amirite
(26-06-2019, 06:57 PM)NZs no.3 Wrote: 150 hours/10 amirite
yeah exactly

buyers remorse for those hours of my life I binged into an unfinished, frustrating beta of a game half tipsy while rewatching mediocre tv
like, overlaying 3 underwhelming experiences occupies your brain but you look back and yikes
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
I'm so bad at age of empires I like it but I've played warcraft 3 a simple version lol and they're great!

(2019:definitely not dark souls - 0/10 ) - Hahhahaha!

'West of Loathing' and 'Streets of Rogue' I'm going to google these! :)