Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The First Law Trilogy
Started reading this book series recently from recommendation of Taco from, like, 5 years ago.

It's pretty good. Only 100 pages into the first book: The Blade Itself. I like Logen Ninefinger's parts the best so far since hes seeing a bit of action. Glokta is an interesting character too, and i like Collem West as well.

Can't comment much more, as 100 pages isn't that far so still getting to grip with the world and whats being built around it.

Stay tuned.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Huge that you're reading it, you will love it
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
Cool I expect you to hang around this thread just like Catch 22 so I can bounce all my thoughts and excitement off you.

My plan is still to knock out all 6 books which should bring me right up to the release of his new 3 books.
Oh, yes. I remember reading about this.
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
Finished reading the first book. Really good stuff. Onto the second now.
Some reflection on the first book:

First book is about 10 years old now. Don't know much about the series other than half reading one of the recent stand-alone novels.

Abercrombie plans out a finishes his books in installments which is really good. Mainly writing trilogies which is cool. This means you can get into his stuff without knowing you'll be left waiting on future works for years on end. With this is mind I plan to knock out the current trilogy and stand-alone novels in time for is new trilogy to release later this year.

This first book was great, it didn't focus much on the overall grand plan or direction the series is obviously going to revolve around (to what exactly that is, is still to be found out) but instead had enough things going on with really cool characters to keep me reading. It basically focused on 5 groups of characters which in the end 3 of these groups come together as a party which will serve the rest of the series going forward (I assume). I really liked all these characters in the end, especially Logen, Jezal and Glokta. That great fight at the end with Logen going all Bloody Nine on a group of Practicals was nuts. I like how during the course of the book they've been painting the Bloody Nine as a nick named from all his killing and he wants to brush it off as times long gone. But it's more than that as the Blood Nine seems to be a split personality/persona within him. Headbutting a dude to death then peacing out for Logen to deal with the pain was so great haha.

Glokta was great too, and I like how so surprisingly soon things were patched up with his old buddy West. Usually a dynamic between two characters like that is built up more and has some sort of more dramatic conclusion later, but Abercrombie opted for a more simple and reasonable conclusion. This was stated even by Glokta "So simple. No conspiracy. No web of betrayal." And it was all wrapped up in a small few page paragraph towards the end. I just thought this was a real cool humble little moment. Not something you often get in these sort of books.

Ferro was interesting, she got the least "screen time" out of anyone and was there just to become part of the squad at the end. Best to get her introduced and established now I guess.

Bayaz the first of the Magi was great too. I love Abercrombie's style of magic in these books coming from "The other side" and heavily implied to be evil/demonic source for magic wielders. Bayaz exploding a forest, and later a person was pretty nuts. Keen learn more about the magic in this world.

Haven't made the time to start the second book yet, but should do today.
(14-07-2019, 11:57 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Haven't made the time to start the second book yet, but
so long as you don't need an organ cut out of you each time hahahaha

the story does a great job with "banality of evil" verses spooky conspiracy tropes
Logen is both an old soldier from wars that turn people into monsters, but also something much more terrifying and worthy of the reputation
and it's a theme that runs through many other interactions and characters which I wont spoil just now