Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Witcher 3
I got TW3 a few years ago on Steam. I couldn't really get into it, and after a few attempts, I gave up shortly after the tutorial area. It just didn't click for me.

Naturally, I bought it again when I got my PS4. I decided this time, since I already had a file on PC, I'd try to play the whole game on the hardest difficulty. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get past literally the start of the game (the fight with the ghouls). I dropped it again.

A month or so ago, I got a hankering to play it. I booted it up almost two years after my last attempt, and started fresh on the hardest difficulty. After a lot of attempts, I got past the start of the game. (Then I looked up how the speedrunners do it, and the answers is just "run away").

I just finished the main storyline tonight.

What a great game! There's so much content. There's basically too much content. After a while, I just had to decide to do only what interested me, and eventually I just decided to push through and finish the main story, otherwise I'd never be done. I'm happy now to go back and mop up everything I left over at my leisure.

Best part of the game? Getting drunk and megascoping for witches to sleep with.
Worst part of the game? Using Geralt's jump/climbing abilities to climb a mountain you're not meant to climb, and then having literally no way to get back down alive.

The main story, all in all, was pretty boring. Every main-story boss fight was pretty shit, Eredin included. Even though it was intense, once you get the rhythm of the fight down, it's a matter of patience and consistency. That said, I didn't dislike the combat system like almost everyone seems to.

After loving Axii and Quen for the first 5% of the game, I woke up and realised that Aard was just a more OP Axii. I tried to give up Quen, but it was just too necessary. My build was basically maxing out Aard's strength, maxing out Quen's strength, using the Griffin set, using the medium armour perk, maxing out the doge i-frames skill, and because I was on DM difficulty, I shoehorned in a vitality regen perk at the end of the game. Combat was basically 90% Aard, 10% quen. Eventually my stamina regen was so fast, I could afford to be super aggressive with Aard, able to re-up my Quen immediately after getting hit.

Thoughts, Ghost?
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
You finished it! That's great! Yeah you mentioned really getting into it, so im glad it stuck.

Really great game, played it twice myself plus the DLC's and have a perpetual game going on PC at all times (heavily modded to shit).

(06-07-2019, 05:44 PM)Jargonion Wrote: There's so much content. There's basically too much content. After a while, I just had to decide to do only what interested me

Yeah this is true, and is basically how they intended it to go. Really it's just about figuring out what is what. All your quests are divided into categories and other than main quests its up to you how much you do. Once you know whats what, you see that the content is there, but not necessary.

They really made a deal out of having proper side quests with some story/depth to them. You can run into side quest that become separate stories that can last an hour or two for sure. You can participate in the assassination of a king for example and throw the tide of war.

And all the "?" on the map are just extra things to do. Once in Skellige you realize if you wanna get rich then 90% of "?" signs are just loot crates to sell for $$$.

Personally, I did all the Witcher Contract quests, cause those are so fun. Researching the monster, making the right oils and potions, hunting it down, then cheesing it because if you research the right oils and potions they become so easy. I did Armor quests for the armor sets I liked (Witcher and Bear school are the only right armor choices here) to get them to Master Crafted (then Grand Master in the DLC). Then I did a lot of the side quests. On my second play-through I did absolutely everything and got really into Gwent. Did you play Gwent at all?

(06-07-2019, 05:44 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Best part of the game? Getting drunk and megascoping for witches to sleep with.

Correct. That whole section at Kaer Morhen was great. It's also quite the area to explore. A lot more to do that I expected. Most of the Wolf School armor upgrades are there.

(06-07-2019, 05:44 PM)Jargonion Wrote: That said, I didn't dislike the combat system like almost everyone seems to.

I think those that say that, didn't play the game all the way through or for long. I agree with the complaint though, the combat system doesn't really open up until much later on once you have a few skill points to your name.

The sword play really opens up later, with spinning and charged attacks.

Did you ever invest in the secondary abilities of each sign? Aard has an area blast for example and Quen has a bubble shield you can cast around you wile still walking around. It explodes once broken too. Yrden gets a lighting trap, and Igni gets a fire stream which is dope.

You ever go down the alchemy skill tree? You can make bombs really powerful to the point where they one shot groups on enemies. I always had fire and ice bombs on me and upgraded. Fully upgraded ice bombs would freeze enemies in an area, then if Aard is upgraded you can shatter them for an instant kill with the Aard blast.

Later in the DLC's, you cna upgrade your signs with more elements. You can fuse Aard's area attack with ice to freeze all enemies which is great.

I used a lot of the signs frequently, but loved Aard for sure. I had my intensity up to 200% and it would just send dudes flying which is great.

Go play the blood and wine dlc. The new area of Toussaint is my favorite. It's another 15-20 hours to do it all.

What ending did you get?

Most problems I had with the game:

- no fast travel to a couple of key fucking areas
- Geralt's glass ankles
- cumbersome menus
- manual applying of oils/potions/etc. through slow menus

I modded out on PC, making PC the best version for sure cause mods.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: They really made a deal out of having proper side quests with some story/depth to them. You can run into side quest that become separate stories that can last an hour or two for sure. You can participate in the assassination of a king for example and throw the tide of war.

Yeah, that was really neat. Like, all that Baron nonsense and the witches at the bog. Even though it turned out to be main-story related, it felt like I was dragged off onto a huge spiralling side-mission, which was neat.

I liked killing dijkstra.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: And all the "?" on the map are just extra things to do. Once in Skellige you realize if you wanna get rich then 90% of "?" signs are just loot crates to sell for $$$.

Fuck Skellige.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Personally, I did all the Witcher Contract quests, cause those are so fun. Researching the monster, making the right oils and potions, hunting it down, then cheesing it because if you research the right oils and potions they become so easy.

I think I was over levelled for most of the game, so the prep made very little difference to me. That's kind of true for the whole game, really.

Did you play on Death March? The start of the game is really strategically picking your battles, because even a pack of drowners are certain death. Once you get a few levels under you, though, there's not much that can phase you.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: I did Armor quests for the armor sets I liked (Witcher and Bear school are the only right armor choices here) to get them to Master Crafted.

After ignoring signs and intensity for 80% of the game, I finally decided that I liked Aard too much, and went full Griffin.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Did you play Gwent at all?

Fuck Gwent. I missed the games at the masquerade ball, and so ended any interest I had in that tedious game (mostly because it's too much eye strain to read all the print on the cards from my couch).

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: That whole section at Kaer Morhen was great. It's also quite the area to explore. A lot more to do that I expected. Most of the Wolf School armor upgrades are there.

I'd played the very start of TW1, and was surprised at how much of Kaer Morhen I recognised.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Did you ever invest in the secondary abilities of each sign? Aard has an area blast for example and Quen has a bubble shield you can cast around you wile still walking around. It explodes once broken too. Yrden gets a lighting trap, and Igni gets a fire stream which is dope.

Not really. At first I tried to Igni fire stream, and the Aard radius blast. I kept the fire stream because I needed to spend points to unlock the Aard intensity tier, but never really used it. I never found a use for the Quen-dome, and I found the Aard radius blast to be weak in comparison to simple dodging+normal (high intensity) Aard.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: You ever go down the alchemy skill tree? You can make bombs really powerful to the point where they one shot groups on enemies. I always had fire and ice bombs on me and upgraded. Fully upgraded ice bombs would freeze enemies in an area, then if Aard is upgraded you can shatter them for an instant kill with the Aard blast.

No, but I'm thinking about doing an alchemy run next.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Later in the DLC's, you can upgrade your signs with more elements. You can fuse Aard's area attack with ice to freeze all enemies which is great.

Just started Hearts of Stone, and I'm pissed off that it's rail-roading me into so many consecutive hard boss fights. Going to put it on the back burner, and do some B&W to get the mutations.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: I used a lot of the signs frequently, but loved Aard for sure. I had my intensity up to 200% and it would just send dudes flying which is great.

If you get into the zone, you can be quite OP. There's a frame or two when you cast Aard where the enemy is knocked down but not flying yet. If you're close enough, you can teleport as the body flies, and do the finisher at the same time.

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: What ending did you get?

Ciri is a Witcher.

Show ContentSpoiler:

(07-07-2019, 11:01 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Most problems I had with the game:

- Geralt's glass ankles
- cumbersome menus

Church. Actually, I had no issues with glass ankles at all. Fuck the menus, though.
(07-07-2019, 11:37 AM)Jargonion Wrote: I think I was over levelled for most of the game, so the prep made very little difference to me. That's kind of true for the whole game, really.

I had this problem too on my first playthrough. Theres no stopping the player doing 1 of the many many many side quests so you can get OP quick. They patched in an option though which lets you toggle auto scaling of enemies. Then everyone is around your level/strength all the time. I did this on PC for second play through, made it much better and solves that issue for me.

(07-07-2019, 11:37 AM)Jargonion Wrote: I had no issues with glass ankles at all.

Never walked off a 2 metre drop and just died or lost 90% of health? This was a big complaint at launch, which they then patched. But he still takes way more damage than he should from not very high drops.

(07-07-2019, 11:37 AM)Jargonion Wrote: No, but I'm thinking about doing an alchemy run next.

Do it. You can just invest in alchemy and have a strong as run.

(07-07-2019, 11:37 AM)Jargonion Wrote: Did you play on Death March?

No but ive played some of my second game on it. Enemies defs hit a lot harder. And I would get killed by random packs of Wolves. For sure harder.

(07-07-2019, 11:37 AM)Jargonion Wrote: and do some B&W to get the mutations.

Fair call. Can also chase the Grandmaster versions of armor.

On armor upgrading etc. Man the menus are trash. Trying to look around and find the pieces you need to make, to make another piece so you have enough to make the armor. Such a pain in the ass.
You should pick up Zelda botw now to continue your tradition of picking up, starting, then leaving a great game to sit for a year or 2. It'll be great and botw is well worth it.
BotW got a bit "eh" for me. It was kind of the other way around to TW3. That said, I really did like the mechanics, so I might pick it up again.

Just started a new run on the PC (both the DLC railroading you straight into boss fight got a bit tedious). I had installed it on my SSD all those years ago- load times are like 2 seconds. It's blowing my mind.
So doing another run as an alchemy build or something?
Just went finished Blood and Wine; it was really good.

I really liked the setting, the lighting and scenery was amazing- such contrast to the areas in the main game.

The story was decent as well, and the lore was excellent.

The questline was O.K. - I didn't feel the overwhelming need to abandon it like I did with Hearts of Stone. Regis is such a bro.

I got the best ending: The little bitch vampire who got all emo and over reacted to some woman rejecting him died, the tyrant cunt duchess got what was coming to her, and the whore sister got rubbed out for her troubles.

The best part of the DLC was all the neat stuff it added- all those tools in the Vineyard, for example. Mutations seem neat, too.

Solid 7/10, almost certainly an 8/10, 8.5/10 at a push.

Just went back to Hearts of Stone- I am just at the wedding with Shani now. Meeting the newly-weds and asking about how Shani and the bride met might be the best part of the DLC so far.

I've respecced into an alchemy build, and gone straight into the Ursine set. Seems a'ight.
(28-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jargonion Wrote: I really liked the setting, the lighting and scenery was amazing- such contrast to the areas in the main game.

Yeah they wanted an area that was nicer and brighter than base game. Toussaint is behind Nilfgaards lines, so not at war. Devs had fun making an area that was bright and prospering.

(28-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jargonion Wrote: The best part of the DLC was all the neat stuff it added- all those tools in the Vineyard, for example. Mutations seem neat, too.

And Grandmaster armor. Your little herb garden is cool too. Upgrading your house with all your armor on display too is dope.

(28-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jargonion Wrote: Regis is such a bro.

Regis is a great character.
Grandmaster's neat, but they've ruined its impact for me due to my psychological issues.

Because all the sets show you the grandmaster bonus as soon as you get a bit of gear, it felt more like a base-game thing, even though it's not.