Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Booker Prize Longlist
Video 
Check out the long list for the Booker Prize on Book Depository

After reading a couple of blurbs about Ohio housewives and Quirky English villages out in some shire I was unimpressed but there are definitely some books on the list that are very much in the modern world:

[Image: KAtx5zj.png]

also this one looks really good:

[Image: 9Wl2mk8.png]
NOW THERE'S A BOOKER PRIZE SHORTLIST

you'll recognise these books from the longlist

One's a sequel from the Margaret Atwood hit The Handmaid's Tale
One's by Salman Rushdie
One's about modern American existentialism?
and there are two others
Margaret's new book is nothing but a punchline to me.
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
The Testaments blurb Wrote:The wait is over

And so I step up, into the darkness within; or else the light.

When the van door slammed on Offred’s future at the end of The Handmaid’s Tale, readers had no way of telling what lay ahead for her – freedom, prison or death.

With The Testaments, the wait is over.

Margaret Atwood’s sequel picks up the story 15 years after Offred stepped into the unknown, with the explosive testaments of three female narrators from Gilead.

‘Dear Readers: Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book. Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we’ve been living in.’ Margaret Atwood

It does feel like a bit of pottermore sort of cash-in but it's getting good ratings and it's made it to the Booker shortlist, which, I've always assumed had high integrity but who knows maybe it's just basic trend following like all things
It's nothing short of a cash grab.

If this old woman thought the book needed a sequel, she would have done it a very long time ago. I refuse to believe she was working on a masterpiece sequel that just happened to come out when the show came out.

Any morals or other subtexts the book tries to give us can be safely ignored, as the reason for giving them does not come from a genuine place.
You know Harper Lee's out-of-nowhere sequel of To Kill A Mockingbird which people believe some corporate types tricked her into writing because she was old and dementia-ridden, but they especially hold to this because she revealed that the suave Alabama lawyer from the 30's, hero of justice and protector of a black man, had condescending views towards black people and whether or not they were ready to get all the human rights and freedoms that whites got.

So, I'm all for a cash grab but only so long as destroys the darlings of a devoted fanbase

Reflecting on this, The Cursed Child, Pottermore and JK Rowling's pseudo-progressive tweets were all good for the same reason
Quote:Any morals or other subtexts the book tries to give us can be safely ignored, as the reason for giving them does not come from a genuine place.

Isn't that ridiculous? Have you read the book?
[Image: 4LDWB4d.jpg]
Nice year to establish a book award
Nice number of seconds for a google response

but actually, I wonder if these rumours are real or hype
(17-09-2019, 08:50 AM)taco Wrote: Nice year to establish a book award
Nice number of seconds for a google response

nice
(17-09-2019, 08:36 AM)womblemuppet Wrote:
Quote:Any morals or other subtexts the book tries to give us can be safely ignored, as the reason for giving them does not come from a genuine place.

Isn't that ridiculous? Have you read the book?

She's an old white woman.