Poll: How many cops are bad?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
All cops are bad
0%
0 0%
Some cops are bad
80.00%
4 80.00%
No cop is bad
20.00%
1 20.00%
Badness is a false concept and I reject it
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discuss: All cops are bad?
Star 
Thoughts on police behaviour in regards to Ihumatao?
Recent escalations in police activity at Ihumatao after our PM has communicated an attempt to de-escalate tension suggests either A) that Jacinda or Stuart Nash are insincere in their sentiments or B) Police decision makers are not the well behaved tools of the state that they ought to be or C) other?
I'd say A and C. There are most likely laws they are following. If they cave on laws here and there then keep pandering they'll lose any authority. Then law means nothing. I don't know enough to comment on thee ethics. I have little knowledge of what is happening I was told........... The land was stolen, so the land was returned by the crown to the tribe, tribe then leads of tribe sold returned land to fletchers and the now angry members didn't agree and are now protesting?
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
Seems like leaders of the Iwi have sold off a piece of land for development against the wishes of many of the Iwi which, falls into interesting territory.. law as legislated may betray the expectations of Iwi who make use of the land, and all treaty settlement stuff appears to be involved in the generation of a wealthy class of Maori seem not to be acting in the best interests of most Maori.

In any case the decision makers among police seems to have a fair amount of latitude how they can approach this issue. Until recently many MPs were happy to write off the dispute as internal to the Iwi and so wash their hands of it, however the outrage and protest seem to eclipse that being a responsible approach.

At some point Fletchers said "Govt. can buy the land back from us if they like but otherwise we really want to build another bleak expanse of Auckland urban sprawl please", the Iwi leaders who made the sale want to keep their money, and the Govt. want the problem to go away without them having to start setting expensive and politically problematic precedents.

I guess the police are just trying to starve out the protest and clean it all up asap, but really they could just sit on their hands until the powers that be take appropriate leadership? Haven't heard anything from the Minister for Police on this, he might be trying to keep as low a profile as possible haha
Yeah, pretty weird situation. Shouldn't the people have a mini-revolution within their Iwi? (Turns out any race can be corrupt and greedy). The whole ordeal still seems to be focused at Pakeha vs Maori and Police/System vs Maori where it should be fixing the authoritative structure within the Iwi. It's not race people are flawed and corrupt by nature.

Would've been nice if it were settled, done and dusted. The only problem is (I'm not saying Maori weren't wronged) it will never be enough.

I feel fletchers haven't really done anything wrong they paid for the land, now people want it back without paying for it. If my parents sell a house I can't claim it back. Aucklanders "we want more houses, the housing crisis and bubble is unaffordable" while at the same time "we fighting to protect the land that will have houses build upon it". Obviously, it's far more complex than that but what a mess!
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
Jacinda is dangerously incompetent.
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
(06-08-2019, 08:47 PM)benswitch Wrote: Aucklanders "we want more houses, the housing crisis and bubble is unaffordable" while at the same time "we fighting to protect the land that will have houses build upon it"

zoning more land for medium and high density housing inside more central auckland would address these problems but everyone is too much of a baby
we can't just turn every patch of land into suburbs for raising families that's too gross and wholesome
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
(06-08-2019, 09:50 PM)taco Wrote: zoning more land for medium and high density housing inside more central auckland would address these problems but everyone is too much of a baby
we can't just turn every patch of land into suburbs for raising families that's too gross and wholesome

All of Auckland is gross yet unwholesome. I don't know why people are fighting over it.
Internal tribe conflicts shouldn't garner any sympathy with the public, it's just another attempt to guilt non-maoris and it's dividing the country. Nothing will ever be enough.
Some cops are bad, clearly. Bad people, and/or bad at their job. I don't hate on cops like they are all bad like many people I know though. That's stupid.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(07-08-2019, 07:36 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Some cops are bad, clearly. Bad people, and/or bad at their job. I don't hate on cops like they are all bad like many people I know though. That's stupid.

most cops are alright, definitely. It's trust in cops that empowers them to deal with more situations non-violently. the last thing we want is a situation like in the US.
(07-08-2019, 08:47 AM)womblemuppet Wrote: It's trust in cops that empowers them to deal with more situations non-violently

At least in Ihumatao cops appear to have been eroding their own trust my making agreements with protesters then reneging on them without notice. Also doing things like pepperspraying dogs on site.

(07-08-2019, 07:21 AM)womblemuppet Wrote: Internal tribe conflicts shouldn't garner any sympathy with the public,
(06-08-2019, 08:47 PM)benswitch Wrote: Shouldn't the people have a mini-revolution within their Iwi?

This feels like a vote of no confidence to the Iwi leaders. I (don't know) think that there are limited recourse for them to take, peaceful protest is the most palatable response (and has best chance of success)

It would be nice if this moment lead to an internal desire for Iwi to become more democratic, as it is the wealth they control now usually is not shared among the many. Fletchers is being cast as the bogeyman a bit where arguably the ruling wealthy in the Iwi should be the main target of scorn

We just have to assume that all businesses are capitalist robots; we can't ask them to act morally, we must legislate and monitor appropriate behaviour out of them