Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games that didn't deserve the hate? and other hidden gems?
Why are Raisins not called Dried Grapes?!... I mean dried Apricots are called Dried Apricots?  MADNESS!

Now that I have your undivided attention... I've heard some bad reviews and a lot of heavy criticism of the game Yooka Laylee. A game made by some the same makers as Banjo Kazooie. I found this interesting because most reviews on new games will kiss ass, even when the games are horrible. They don't seem to be completely honest... Sales Yo! 

When I heard Yooka Laylee was trash, I was pretty down about because I'd been looking forward to playing it. I was still willing to take a punt, hunting for some N64 nostalgia and I'm glad I did!

Let me give some context unveiling my inner fanboy for Nintendo 64... Let go on a journey through the doors of time, back to the days of yester-year with mini Benji... Let's be honest here, he never really fully evolve to a large human.

I grew up with a Nintendo 64 and lived on a magical Island 70km east of Auckland called Great Barrier Island... This is relevant because we generated our electricity out on the Barrier so gaming was limited to an hour a day... Ocarina of Time took like 5 years to beat... 

Well, the truth is I actually I started with an Atari 2600, I had scraped and saved 8 dollars to buy that Atari from a garage sale when I was 9 years old... maybe.. I think 9ish... (How long did 8 bucks really take to save up? Lets be honest here.... Are you ready for a long off topic roller-coaster? Ready, Set and... GO! Well my parents were firm believers that you don't get anything you didn't earn. For example Dad didn't participate at Xmas never bought a present or birthdays... Oh,wait that might be because he was raised Jehovahs Witness, well kinda half raised... I guess. He went back and forth between parents and foster homes, eating green potatoes from bins, watching his foster parent murder a man by crushing his throat annnnd that's another story). I got paid in 50 cent coins as a kid (one year I worked 100 hours across two weeks including Xmas day, planting 2000 plus banana palms in Kaitiai. In an off Island expedition, sold to me as a holiday... I was paid $2 and hour at age 14($200 for 100 hours shoveling hard pan sand stone, in Kaitiai summer 35 degree heat sounds like a cracking deal! Plot twist the Bananas don't like the sand, they loved the volcanic soil that was on the Island and basically didn't grow or produce many fruit). Back to Island! We had some unfortunate legal disagreements with Auckand City Council which led to 9 years in court and living in an Attic above my fathers business, bankrupt on Great Barrier Island, we used a generator for an hour a day, mostly living by a truck battery, low energy bulbs, washing in a creek before we had a gas califont sorted, a long drop for our toliet baby! And I got my first pair of shoes when I was 13 but that was because if you wore shoes on the Island as a kid you were bullied for being a "pussy ass townie!") So a fair case for being skint and not throwing money at kids... Short story, I worked for those coins baby!!!!!

Now we got our Nintendo given to us! Now if you thought this story was about the value of earning something, the value or money or a great life lesson... It's not, I loved my free Nintendo 64 way more than my earned Atari 2600. The Nintendo waaas waaaaay better and waay cooler! Basically our friends from Auckland Meredyth and Jordyn also known as 'The Twins' had their Nintendo taken because they swore too much playing it and I'm eternally grateful for their foul language.  

Pac-man to Super Mario 64... need I say more, I'd count the hours till we could to the power on and play it. I first feel in love with games when I was baby sat from around the age of 5 to 8 years old, the baby sitters son had a Sega Master System and Mega Drive that was my introduction to games like streets of rage, golden axe, alex kidd and 'Gangsters paradise' by 'Coolio' without derailing again....  Games like Banjo Kazooie left me with so many really good memories, it was Rare in it's golden era with games like Perfect Dark, 007 Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day. 

Platformers have changed, gaming has evolved and we've moved away from a lot of these simple yet fun platformers/collectathons. Yooka Laylee doesn't deserve it's hate, it's exactly what I'd dream of from the makers of Banjo, same style of voices(or lack of), same font, same humour, same small levels, same vibrant colours, colourful characters, great level design, same style of gameplay and a great spiritual successor of the Banjo series. This game has a few stutters and camera issues once every 20 mins or so but for a small title it delivers! It doesn't have the same backing as AAA titles and it does a lot with what it has. I think people forget what the originals were really like, take off the rose tinted glasses please and this is coming from a fanboy... If it changed too much people bitch and if it didn't change enough people complain. It does what it sets out to do, I believe. I didn't play this when it first released maybe it's been patched and updated from a prior mess? I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was! 

What are your games that didn't deserve the hate they're got, or never got the credit due? Or for lack of better term the 'hidden gems' of your experience? Games that just clicked even if they weren't perfect? :)

Also, now I think about it Prunes and Plums what the heck. Just call them Dried Plums!
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
(13-08-2019, 03:45 PM)benswitch Wrote: Why are Raisins not called Dried Grapes?!... I mean dried Apricots are called Dried Apricots?  MADNESS!

Now that I have your undivided attention

This is an interesting point, reckon it's that Prunes (dried plums) and Raisins (dried grapes) are native and popular in England while apricots, dates, cranberries might not be, therefore a specific word for the dried variety never arose.

There are all sorts of weird etymologies of fruits in English (I know Pomegranate and Banana have stories?)
[Image: JazGXPG.png]
Let me pick that up for you.

The English were the most incoherent bunch of rabble rousers in history. Every new fruit or vegetable was an "x potato". Substitute "x" for whatever it looked like.

We're all aware from bad internet memes that basically the whole world calls Pineapples "Ananas". Not the English - they look kinda like pine cones so they're pineapples. The pomegranate? Persian apple. On and on it goes. There's sufficient evidence to suggest that the local name for these fruits were known, but the peasants are small minded freaks and, in the pineapple's case, the colloquialism won out.
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
Also, a quick google search gave me nothing got prunes, but apparently "raisin" comes from the latin word for cluster of fruit. That just makes me wonder why grapes aren't called raisins.

Edit - Possibly because they were harvest by a "graper"?
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
(14-08-2019, 06:29 AM)Jargonion Wrote: Edit - Possibly because they were harvest by a "graper"?

that seems like it. I like how both "graper" and it's literal translation "hook -er" sound dirty in English.
Goddammit.

[Image: TmjJH7i.png]
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
(14-08-2019, 08:12 AM)NZs no.3 Wrote: Goddammit.

We're not derailing the thread we're breaking down the OP line by line. We just haven't got to line 2 yet.
Haha! I should've seen that Latin ofc! I like the development of the thread haha! But any games?
From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. All inequalities are a form of bondage so to truly enjoy this life you must get kinky
Trying to think of some...

Last Guardian got a bad rap (took over 10+ years to come out which didn't help). Everyone complained about the gameplay, specifically the giant griffin dog being uncontrollable. People seemed to miss that its supposed to be at the start, like a dog/animal it takes time to train. The controls are not bad or unresponsive, the dog/griffin (Toriko) just takes a few hours to better follow your commands. By then most people dropped it though, and fair enough. Beyond that, no complaints and its an amazing game well worth the play.

I'm sure I have others If I have a think...
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Hmmm, cool I've wanted to play that. That mechanic makes sense. Hopefully it'll be remembered fondly.