Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Admin GG's Don't Starve Adventure

Welcome to my Don't Starve thread!

What is Don't Starve you say? Don't Starve is an action-adventure video game with survival and roguelike elements, developed and published by the indie company Klei Entertainment.

Klei is easily one of my favorite indie studios and are responsible for the Shank series and Mark of the Ninja. These guys genre-hop like bosses.

It's out of PC, MAC, Linux, PS4 and PS Vita.

I played this game loads on Steam (40-60 hours) but dropped off not long before they released the Reign of Giants DLC which has a butt-load more content I know jack all about.

It came out very recently on PS Vita along with the DLC and I thought I'd hop back into it again. I shall be documenting my adventures here.

Just a note because I didn't make it clear before:
I am playing vanilla Don't Starve. Reign of the Giants dlc is not active.

Day 1:

I picked Wilson as my character (the only character you have to start with) as he's still my favorite, although I am yet to play some of the new characters.

So I started off quite well. There was a Savanna biome not far away from where I spawned and there were Beefalo there:

Beefalo are passive mobs that are like a cross between wooly Yaks and Elk I suppose. Except giant. This is a great find for day 1 and they poop everywhere which you can pickup and use for manure for farms and before Winter arrives (which is a kill point or all new players for sure) you can shave these wooly fools and make some nice warm clothes.

Your first night in Don't Starve is always very lonely. Nothing to do but stand by the fire:

Most new players die on the first night, because if you do not make a fire at night you will die.

Day 5:

Skipping to day 5 now as I am just going to make screenshots to document my progress and not comment on every day (each day is like 5mins anyway).

While I was plundering graves, there is a small chance of  ghost spawning instead of grave loot. Wilson is a man of science also:

Tee hee.

Day 7:

Looting those graves and making my main base by those Beefalo sure paid off!

I am incredibly well set up for 1 week in. I got lucky and got 2 gears from looting graves. Gears can be used to make Ice Boxes which you can store food it and it makes the food last twice as long before it spoils. Fantastic for winter! And the chances of getting 2 gears so I could make 2 Ice Boxes was just the best luck.

Also living by the Beefalo means I can use their poops to make and fertilize farms. I also have a Crock Pot which is used for making sweet food.

The two contraptions on the left are science machines you need to build in order to unlock the next tier of craftable items and equipment. Currently I have built up to an Alchemy Engine so I have a vast majority of stuff available to make already.

Bloody good first week!

I am going to stop there for now. Currently I have made it through my first winter, but this is a good introduction for now. Will post more soon!
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps

You need to make a video for the first 7 days. I thought I was OK, but seeing all the shit you've already got established shows me I have a lot to learn.

(11-09-2014, 10:47 AM)Jargonion Wrote: You need to make a video for the first 7 days. I thought I was OK, but seeing all the shit you've already got established shows me I have a lot to learn.

I could make a video but I'd be no good at commentating and I don't think Don't Starve is a lot of fun to watch as it's just surviving. I get into a routine of 'ok I got to get this shit done today' and so forth.

I will go over my first week in some more depth though:

You pick a base by Beefalo. That's my advice. Beefalo and rabbits. They are what I live off in winter. This is where I have made my base:

To the right of me is Beefalo, below me is rabbits, above me are fish ponds, to the left is lots of rock.

As I said before I got luck because when I was looting graves I got 2 gears. These are rare drops and it only takes 1 gear to make an Ice Box. I got lucky so made 2 for winter. Due to Beefalo, there is poop everywhere that you can use to make farms. Then you just pick seed off the ground and plant em for food.

Due to the rocks, I soon got a lot of stone and gold. Stone and gold are required for a Science Machine, then refined wood (Planks) and refined stone (Cut Stone) plus gold is required for an Alchemy engine. Alchemy engine lets you make advance stuff like the Ice Boxes, Advance Farms, and Crock Pots.

All of those things are exactly what I had come day 7. So very good start in my opinion.

After my last session last night, I am past day 40 which is well past my first winter. I continue on with my next post tonight!

Ok guys, so resuming my adventure:

Day 15:

Walk not far outside my base to find this shit:

As said I have not played this game in some time, and there have been many updates. I tried attacking this thing but the eyes keep respawning and they eat anything that gets near them. Load of bs.

Turns out what we are looking at is a Lureplant. It eats shit, digests it, and fucks you up. You can however kill the plant in the middle and get a Lureplant seed which you can then replant and take advantage of its harvesting ability. So you can let it automatically collect food etc. for you.

Anyway I am in the routine now of setting up lots of rabbit traps and then hanging the rabbit meat out to dry to create jerky. I also have a shit load of spider web after a raid on a spiders den so I made a fishing rod. Just to the north of my base is loads of fish ponds and I have been stocking up on fish which are all in my Ice Boxes.

Day 17-18:

One of your main goals in Don't Starve is to survive your first winter. As I originally mentioned, I made my base nera Beefalo so I could use their fur to make shit to survive the winter:

You can only shave Beefalo when they are asleep, otherwise they will attack and kill you. So I spent all of night time day 17 shaving these fools. I now have a fuck load of Beefalo wool for the winter.

Day 20-22:

Well winter is almost here folks. From day 20 onwards it starts getting colder, and in a couple of days its going to be full on winter.

My base has grown:

I no have a Prestihatitator which is that upside down hat looking machine. It's a first tier science machine. With it I made my first Ice Staff. Ice Staffs are the shit cause you can freeze mobs with it and then get easy hits on them. Great for hunting.

As you can see I have 3 wooden chests, one is full of rabbits that I have been collecting. I recommend doing this as you can keep rabbits alive for as long as you want and the meat will not start to rot until you kill them. Along the top of my base is four meat drying racks for making jerky.

During winter ponds freeze over, and farms will not grow anything. For me that's two major food sources gone.

My plan for winter is:
  • Make all the fish I have stored in my Ice Boxes last as long as I can.
  • Continue trapping and catching rabbits to store and then kill to make jerky
  • Collect wood for fires each day
  • Repeat all of the above

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SET ROUTINE FOR EACH DAY DURING WINTER YOU WILL DIE

Apparently they added Penguins:

Everytime I get near the waters edge they come flying out and set up breeding grounds:

Apparently they drops eggs but I have not seen any yet.

Day 24-32:

WINTER IS HERE

Well here we are. Full on mother f**king winter. I built a tent in my base. Tents allow you to sleep through the night to regain health an sanity. There is a huge hunger penalty though and I'd only suggest doing it when you need to recover alot of health or sanity.

Though it was about time I took a screenshot of the map:

I am playing on a regular size map, and this is just a tiny portion of it that the Vita screen is showing. You can see above the fish ponds, and to the right is the Savanna where the Beefalo live. Not pictured: A friendly pig village to the south you can't see but I am about to visit.

SHIT GOT WORSE:

A F**KING TREE GUARD. REALLY GAME?

Tree Guards are like one of the first bosses you are likely to encounter. Each tree you chop down has a small (<5%?) chance of spawning a goddam Tree Guard. These guys are huge, slow moving, and hit really hard. They can kill you in a hit or two without armor.

He chased me all through my base:

All during the night:

Nothing I could really do about it.

Then during the day, he just turns back into a tree:

This is when I had the bright idea to bring him down into the pig village and let the friendly pig mobs attack him for me:

Pigs stay in their houses at night, so I had to wait until morning:

With our combined efforts we killed him. A Tree Guard will always drop Living Logs which you can use to craft the next tier science machine: the Shadow Minipulator.

The Shadow Minipulator is to the left, its the triangular floating thing with the gem in the middle. I can make some serious magics with this machine.

All in all, the Tree Guard managed to waste 4 days of my time and I almost freaking died like twice, but slept off my wounds.

I think that is way more than enough for now. I'll be back to document my next adventures as I make them.

Day 34 - 46:

What's this? Looks like winter is beginning to retreat:

At this point my routine is just harvest rabbits, dry meat, collect wood, and stay warm.

The Tree Guard managed to waste quite a few days of my time, and at around day 40, winter completed retreated:

That makes winter about 20 days, so in vanilla Don't Stare you have a cycle of 20 days non-winter, 20 days winter.

So what next? Prepare for the next winter and expand my base! That's the whole fun of it.

I managed to track a Koalefant:

Koalefant leave their footprints on the ground for you to uncover. If you keep following them you find a Koalefant.

Now if you can kill a Koalefant (takes about 15 hits with a spear) it drops it's trunk and 8 pieces of meat which you can use to make a Meat Effigy.

A Meat Effigy acts as one free life, so when you die you spawn to the closest Meat Effigy. This craftable item is almost exclusive to Wilson as you need beard hair to make it and Wilson is the only character who can grow a beard and shave it.

My base day 46:

Top left is a beehive I made for the first time ever, and next to it is the Meat Effigy. I have a load of farms in production now and a bird in a cage which is used for farming particular seeds you want to grow.

Another view when it was raining:

And my base at night:

I made a glowing pumpkin.

Also I thought it was about time I showed off the current map I am playing on. Don't Starve randomly generates the map each time, and this is what I have uncovered so far:

The red circle is where my base is. Heres one zoomed in:

Aight' that's all for now. Next post will be covering days 50 through 60. I think it will be easier to over about 10 days at a time depending on what happens.

Really this is just for my own entertainment to document my run, but I know alot about the game so all questions welcome.

As per reader request. I have made a quick video series on how to survive the first week in Don't Starve. Enjoy.

Cool thread!

I'll probably start playing Don't Starve again once I'm done with Kingdom Hearts. Hoping that Don't Starve Together is out by then.

(15-09-2014, 09:27 AM)Pythagean Wrote: Cool thread!

I'll probably start playing Don't Starve again once I'm done with Kingdom Hearts. Hoping that Don't Starve Together is out by then.

They are sending out Beta test codes to those who signed up next week. So it'll probably be a month or 2 away still.

Go sign up for beta testing on their site if you wish:
http://www.dontstarvegame.com/forms/dst/dst-form.html

(15-09-2014, 09:41 AM)Grey Ghost Wrote:
(15-09-2014, 09:27 AM)Pythagean Wrote: Cool thread!

They are sending out Beta test codes to those who signed up next week. So it'll probably be a month or 2 away still.

Go sign up for beta testing on their site if you wish:
http://www.dontstarvegame.com/forms/dst/dst-form.html

I'll pass on the beta testing, I'm willing to wait until it's finished and working properly. Not enough time to play games as it is

Day 50 - 60:

So I stared making berry farms:

I also got a grass farm going on so I have continual grass on hand, I also want to make a twig farm but then this shit happened:

Around day 55 the weather got colder. I was like whaaat. It's only been like just over 10 days since last winter.

So I jumped on it and stocked up on Beefalo hair:

And then during the night it starts goddam snowing:

On the way back to base I discovered animal tracks:

This lead to another Koalefant, but since its winter apparently it was a winter Koalefant:

Which is awesome because from its meat I can make another Meat Effigy. Winter Koalefant's also drop their winter trunk so I can make a Puffy Vest which is the best you can wear during winter.

Anyway I rock back to base and see my berries have all grown:

This will come in handy during winter.

Then I shit you not, half way through day 57 it stops snowing:

This game is having a laugh.

Doesn't matter anyway, by day 60 it was full on winter:

Time to bunker down...