Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Kingdom of Loathing

The Kingdom of Loathing!

What is it?

The Kingdom of Loathing is a hilarious turn-based, stick-figure and text based browser game.

What's the point?

The goal of the game is to reach level 13 and kill the Naughty Sorceress. At this point, you can explore late-game areas, or start over again.

START OVER? That sounds like a waste of time

Wrong, you dummy. Every time you defeat the Naughty Sorceress, you are able to keep one or two skills (depending on the game-mode you just finished). With six (6!) different classes to chose from, each with 30 skills, there is a wealth of fun and opportunity to be had collecting skills to make you future runs more fun and dynamic.

You mean, I can change my class?

Yes...but. Once you start a run, you're locked into that class until you finish the run. That said, after 11 days, you're able to forfeit your run and start over again with no reward.

You mentioned it's turn based...how much do they make me pay to get more turns?

Absolutely nothing! Every day, you get 40 turns for free. You can generate turns in-game through eating and drinking items you can collect and craft through monster drops. There's NO system in place that lets you trade cash for turns.

What's the catch, then?

No catch. In fact, the game's over 11 years old, and has only gotten better as the years have gone on. There are no ads in the game, and the entire game is supported by those who decide to donate to it.

It's just a really fun and chill experience if you have some spare time and want to play something different.

How's the game play?

Challenging, at first. The good news is, there are so many places to explore, you shouldn't have trouble with combat if you spend your first play through just looking around. It wont take long at all for you to get a few skills under your belt, and you'll be stomping your way through hundreds and hundreds of hilariously written monsters with ease.

I would suggest making sure ou do the tutorial to ensure a firm knowledge of basic game mechanics

If I decide to check it out, could I get some help if I need it?

Of course! You can post here, or send a message to my account (Raymond Kinger), OR you could jump into the game's chat and ask around in there. There are plenty of super helpful and super friendly people who would be happy to guide a new player.

Show me what I'd be getting into

I'll show you a little. Really, though, I suggest you go ahead and make an account and just poke around. It takes about 10 seconds (minus thinking of a name), and doesn't require an email address unless you want to enter chat.

Here we can see the full map from my main account. Each and every zone on this map leads to dozens more zones, which may lead to even more zones. There is a shitload of stuff to see and do.

The bottom floor of Spookyraven manor. Only two zones are open initially. A puzzle must be solved in almost every room to unlock the next room (which will eventually unlock the second floor).

COMBAT!

So, if you're interested, jump in and let me know how you found it.

Ah man I remember you getting me to play this years ago. I was never much good, but I see you liking of the game has not died.

Maybe I should do a run?
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps

I absolutely encourage you to try it again. Over the past year, the devs have been working to make the game less difficult to play, while making the game easier and more understandable/playable for new player.

fyi I had about 350 hit points

There's only one way (well, there are more (but they're very hard to achieve)) to kill him.

But, great job!

(04-01-2016, 07:55 PM)Jargonion Wrote: There's only one way (well, there are more (but they're very hard to achieve)) to kill him.

But, great job!

check it out, I got my HP up

Guy Made of Bees should be a piece of cake now

Even at level 4, the Disco Bandit character class is already so much more fun than the Turtle Tamer. Turtle Tamer is all buffs and passives but Disco Bandit can pickpocket, and accumulate momentum, and stab enemies in the eye (or eye analogue). If any one is thinking of giving KoL a try, definitely choose the most fun sounding class.

Or ask Jar for class advice of course