Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxygen. Not. Included!
Hello,

I bought this game because I read one steam review. It said that there are lots of intermingling systems which play off of each other. In addition, it was made by Klei, who made Don't Starve. I never really got into Don't Starve, but I saw the level of quality with which it was made, and decided to give Oxygen Not Included a shot. The game is still in pretty early access, but jeez or mighty I think it's pretty neat.

The game plays as a mix of don't starve and Rimworld. You need to juggle myriad resources, needs, and threats, all of which come with an awesome amount of detail.

[Image: kvWGd6u.jpg]

This is how it looks when you go to start a new game- variables for stress, mood, hunger, and immunity. Hygiene plays a strong role in this game!

[Image: ctxlkSU.png]

When you start, just like Rimworld, you get to pick three different starting characters. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. You also start with a machine that creates new characters on a regular basis, but it wont print them until you decide you want a new character.

[Image: nkr5qUC.png]

This is the team I decided to start with.

[Image: txSvjNO.jpg]

Here is where I started. Before playing this run, I did mess around with the game for roughly an (drunken) hour, to figure out basic needs and controls.

Every little pocket is filled with a gas (or not, in the case of vacuums). In addition, your characters need clean air to breath, and excrete carbon dioxide. This starting pocket was a little too small and scary for me, so I immediately tried to open it up to bit to get some extra air in while I thought of how I was going to deal with this poor starting placement,

[Image: JaQwIzW.jpg]

Just like Rimworld, you have a lot of tasks to do. Digging, crafting, medicine, researching, survival tasks, cleaning, hauling, the list goes on (only a little bit longer). I map out access to the water chamber below us, and then set a few basic tasks to be more important than the others.

[Image: Vilk1Wf.jpg]

I decide to also mine to the right in order to open up a little oxygen pocket. This might have been a poor decision, but I'm not well versed enough in game mechanics yet to know.

[Image: OEOQ3Fg.jpg]

At this point, I haven't quite figured out the best way to set up a pump for this water, but I start making a little area to set up a water collection point. This water is clean, so I'll want to find a way to keep it from being polluted later on. I have also mined out an area to the left of my starting position to be used as a barracks.

[Image: YmSyoKu.jpg]

Some time has passed, and I have a look at my oxygen overlay. Red pockets are bad - the red in my base is carbon dioxide. Because it's heavier than air, it is settling down near my water pump. This is not good at all. I have since researched ventilation, and absolutely fucked everything up while in the process of trying to figure out if I can pipe the bad gas elsewhere. I'll post that stuff up once I feel like it.

Neat game!
[Image: 0Bec9YA.png]
This looks really cool! Does unbreathable gas include both toxic and just not breathable?
Indeed. Besides CO2 being toxic, there are also pockets of chlorine gas that I've found.
Multiplayer?
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
Not available, with no plans to implement (remember Don't Starve, though, anyone?). I guess that's for the best considering the game mechanics.
Yeah they said no for dont starve but couldn't ignore the popularity and demand for it. Id expect they might backtrack again. Don't Starve was perfect alone, but they made it work MP.
Liams Wrote:make a car out of scrap metal from genie lamps
This game, I think, is not at all suited for coop.