Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRISPR babies born last November
Rainbow 
Nature News Wrote:A Chinese scientist claims to have helped make the world’s first genome-edited babies — twin girls, who were born this month. The announcement has provoked shock and outrage among scientists around the world.

He Jiankui, a genome-editing researcher at the Southern University of Science and Technology of China in Shenzhen, says that he impregnated a woman with embryos that had been edited to disable the genetic pathway HIV uses to infect cells.

[...]

Documents posted on China’s clinical-trial registry show that He used the popular CRISPR–Cas9 genome-editing tool to disable a gene called CCR5, which encodes a protein that allows HIV to enter a cell.
(full article here)

So near the end of last year the first real life X-men were born and their super power is to be immune from AIDS from some but not all HIV viruses (some don't enter by CCR5 but by CXCR4). Fun note: you can also prevent HIV replication by deletion of the NPC1 gene but that also causes horrific childhood-onset neurodegeneration

Although Chinese Scientists, Southern University, China, and the whole world everywhere has condemned this whole thing, it's open the conceptual doorway and it will happen again. In the next 10 years it will not surprise me if in some developed nations we CRISPR away things like Huntington's Disease and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
The only way to know is to introduce the baby to some black men and homos.
[Image: Nsi2Ruz.png]
(24-01-2019, 04:53 AM)Jargonion Wrote: The only way to know is to introduce the baby to some black men and homos.

The scientist actually recruited a family where the dad was HIV positive, insinuating that this CRISPR technology would protect the babies from vertical transmission of HIV from the father (This is not possible if you use IVF).

It does I guess protect the kids from HIV if the father rapes them in the future though so I guess